Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

Bill Hall

TVWBB Fan
How does everyone cook their boneless skinless chicken breasts? I usually brine them and cook them indirect in the kettle. Was going to try and cook them direct for a change. Hopefully brining first will keep them from drying out. Looking to produce a nice char grilled flavor. Anyone have success with this method?

Stick with what you are doing, then go direct at the end for some color; it works as well as anything. I've never had success cooking boneless skinless breasts 100% over direct heat, the point gets way overdone. I tried butterflying and pounding them to an even thickness, then cooking over indirect; that worked better. Eventually, I gave up trying to grill BS breasts. I sous vide them now at 145 degrees and they come out tender and juicy every time. Generally, we use them for caesar salads, but I will color them up in a pan or on the grill if a nicer presentation is called for.

Stick with what you are doing, then go direct at the end for some color; it works as well as anything. I've never had success cooking boneless skinless breasts 100% over direct heat, the point gets way overdone. I tried butterflying and pounding them to an even thickness, then cooking over indirect; that worked better. Eventually, I gave up trying to grill BS breasts. I sous vide them now at 145 degrees and they come out tender and juicy every time. Generally, we use them for caesar salads, but I will color them up in a pan or on the grill if a nicer presentation is called for.
Thanks for the advice. I also pound them to an even thickness so they cook more evenly. They are not my favorite but the wife loves them so I have to cook them pretty often. I might look into the sous vide. I see more people combining it with grilling and smoking.

It's a game changer. Chicken can be cooked safely to temps well under 165 if it is held at a particular temp for a certain amount of time. Most of the BS breasts I cook are about 30mm thick. Cooked at 63C (145.5F) for 1.5 hours and they are safe to eat. I bought an Anova a few years ago from Amazon for about $100. It is, hands down, the best way to reheat BBQ. Steaks are amazing too.

if you get one, Douglas Baldwin has a complete set of charts for safely cooking almost everything no matter what shape it is.

http://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

I brine if I have time to do so. Pound to one thickness, oil and spices if desired, sear, then indirect till done. I much prefer bone and skin on breasts but only one store carries them, and it's not a store we normally go to.

I brine if I have time to do so. Pound to one thickness, oil and spices if desired, sear, then indirect till done. I much prefer bone and skin on breasts but only one store carries them, and it's not a store we normally go to.
I don't believe there are any stores around me that carry bone-in breasts either. I see some split breasts every now and then but they seem to be a lot thinner. I'll try the sear first to see if there is any difference from the indirect cook with direct at the end.

I may marinade them the night before if I remember, but normally just season them right before cooking. I don't normally pound them out unless I'm trying to make it for a sandwich. I'll put charcoal on one side of the kettle and then sear them on each side before moving over to indirect heat. I'll put the lid on and let them cook, flipping them about halfway through the process. I know the proper temp for chicken, but normally cook till done based on touch. They'll come out fully cooked and juicy every time. Best of luck.

I don't believe there are any stores around me that carry bone-in breasts either. I see some split breasts every now and then but they seem to be a lot thinner. I'll try the sear first to see if there is any difference from the indirect cook with direct at the end.

I just haven't have any luck with reverse sear, on anything, they always end up fully cooked before I get the sear I want. Maybe if you have a hotter direct area then I do. I usually do about 3/4 large chimney with about 1/2 of that used coals.

I just haven't have any luck with reverse sear, on anything, they always end up fully cooked before I get the sear I want. Maybe if you have a hotter direct area then I do. I usually do about 3/4 large chimney with about 1/2 of that used coals.
I recently bought a easy spin grate from SnS grills that is meant for this method so I've been trying it out. I do have a SnS so they may help and I add more coals right before the sear. I usually don't bother adding more coals with chicken though. I wanted this setup specifically for steak. Ive had positive results with thick cut steaks.

Bob,
I did a piece of meat a few nights ago and tried to get a reverse sear by putting the the grate right over the coals on my 14 in WSM and had no luck. Another member gave me the suggestion to fire up my smoky Joe to get that grate really hot to get that sear. I haven't got to try this yet but it is something I will be trying in the future.

Bill,
I do them two ways, the first is just like you, brinded and indirect and I love them, but the other is I actually butterfly them, marinate them in a high oil base and I cook them over direct heat to get that char taste. Butterflying them, keeping them thin helps me gets the sear on both sides and get them off the smoky Joe.
Michael

Bill,
I do them two ways, the first is just like you, brinded and indirect and I love them, but the other is I actually butterfly them, marinate them in a high oil base and I cook them over direct heat to get that char taste. Butterflying them, keeping them thin helps me gets the sear on both sides and get them off the smoky Joe.
Michael
Thanks for advice Michael. I'll have to try that method out. We pretty much eat them at least once a week so no big deal if I don't get them perfect. I'll have to look up how to butterfly a breast.

Gazebo Room Greek Salad Dressing and Marinade is one of our favorites, both the lite and the original version. This chicken is great to serve with salads, but my favorite is with Brazilian rice and grilled asparagus. Butterfly or just slice through the whole breast to create thin pieces to get seared and off the grill quick.
Michael

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 3
Here is how I handle boneless skinless chicken breast for grilling.
Step one, put them back into the refrigerator.
Step two, take out the chicken thighs and wings and prep them for grilling.
Grill the thighs and wings.
Eat.
The next day, take out the chicken breasts and pound them out to make a chicken version of Vitello alla milanese. Bread and fry the breasts. Serve with a slice of lemon and a nice arugula salad topped with shaved parmigiana.
Enjoy your meal and swear to never grill boneless skinless chicken breasts. :devilish:

Bob,
I did a piece of meat a few nights ago and tried to get a reverse sear by putting the the grate right over the coals on my 14 in WSM and had no luck. Another member gave me the suggestion to fire up my smoky Joe to get that grate really hot to get that sear. I haven't got to try this yet but it is something I will be trying in the future.

I use the kettle as opposed to the WSM, haven't tried to grill on that.

Here is how I handle boneless skinless chicken breast for grilling.
Step one, put them back into the refrigerator.
Step two, take out the chicken thighs and wings and prep them for grilling.
Grill the thighs and wings.
Eat.
The next day, take out the chicken breasts and pound them out to make a chicken version of Vitello alla milanese. Bread and fry the breasts. Serve with a slice of lemon and a nice arugula salad topped with shaved parmigiana.
Enjoy your meal and swear to never grill boneless skinless chicken breasts. :devilish:
I hear you Bob but the wife likes them. I personally don’t like breast meat on the grill either.

Hot and fast is the best way due to how lean they are and that they're fast twitch muscle. But personally I never use them for myself for grilling

I never had a lot of luck doing BSCBs on the grill, we bought an instant pot at Christmas on sale and that puppy can cook a chicken breast to perfection. The only chicken I cook on the grill anymore is KFC thighs on the performer with the vortex or wings.
I will say that whole chickens on the roti the breasts come out really good.

The only time I cook boneless breasts are for chicken tacos. I marinade them using Weber's Mojo Marinade recipe for a couple of hours and then inject them with that marinade. Toss them on the Genesis until done. Tons of flavor with the injection and keeps them moist.

Back