Blue Corn Tortillas

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
We like homemade tortillas. They are a bit of work, but not to bad. Lately I've been on a blue corn tortilla kick and they no one sells them here. they are super tasty and for those looking for low carb, low glycemic score or gluten free these fit the bill for all of that.

For mixing its best to follow the directions on the bag of the masa that you have. I always start with less water than what it calls for. Add more if I think that it needs its best to get your hands in there and mix up the dough. I don't feel the need to add anything else to the tortillas, Some add salt . Some add lard. We go straight water and masa. You're looking for a consistency close to play dough. Once you get it mixed cover the dough and let it rest 30 minutes. I have even put it in the fridge and used it the next day.

For cooking I use cast iron or for large batches the Blackstone. Either way you want a dry non-oiled surface. I like to use medium heat which seems to work best for me. Some use a higher heat. The key is really letting the surface preheat.

Once your cooking surface has heated up its time to press your tortillas. A press isn't really needed you can use a pan and the counter. Press is nice for consistency especially if you make a bunch at a time. When pressing them out I shoot for a thickness a bit thicker than 1/8". You will need a thick plastic (I use a 1 gallon ziplock with the sides cut )surface to cover your press. Hard to explain but it will help when getting the tortilla off and into the pan. There are lots of good YouTube tutorials out there.

For cooking you want to genlty slide the tortilla onto the cooking surface. Cook for 30 seconds (the tortilla will release from the surface when its ready to flip). cook on the other side for 30 seconds. repeat this two more times . Place warm tortillas into a a towel lined dish or a tortilla holder.

Of course these are best right away, but they can be held warm for several hours or in the fridge for several days if needed.

IMG_6458 (1).JPG

IMG_6454 (1).JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

IMG_6457 (1).JPG

Definitely on my list of things to do, homemade tortillas. Flour and corn, of course can also use those to make chips. I’m a chip and salsa nut, say it’s about lunch time!

Nice job!

Those look great, Case! We really enjoy homemade tortillas here, though we usually do flour. I always have a bag of Maseca on hand, and will look to see if I can find blue corn locally for a change of pace! I like your press, too.....I use one of the round cast iron ones.

R

Pammi makes her own tortillas from time to time, both corn and flour
But never blue corn ones!
I'm going to have to show her this thread!

Definitely on my list of things to do, homemade tortillas. Flour and corn, of course can also use those to make chips. I’m a chip and salsa nut, say it’s about lunch time!

Nice job!
Yep I make chips too.

Back