Black discoloration/spots in spare ribs? (unappetizing picture included)

Luke M

I smoked some spare ribs today, and when cutting them up I noticed a large black spot in the meat of a couple ribs. Having never seen this before, I immediately took a picture so I could post here:

badrib.jpg

icon_eek.gif

The discoloration was obviously present in the top rib, but also the rib located directly below it - in fact, for the bottom rib it looked like the black spot had rotted through the entire bone. I threw the entire slab out.
icon_frown.gif

I'm assuming I purchased a rotten slab of ribs from my grocer? The sell-by date was July 5th, and I ended up smoking the ribs for 6 hours. Everything looked good right until when I was about to eat.

Man, when I clicked on this thread I thought I was fixing to just see where blood had darkened the meat side of a spare...

...but THAT looks NASTY from here!
icon_eek.gif

Ya didn't notice any off smell at all before cooking? I have no idea...
icon_confused.gif

don,t ask me why but I seem to remember something aout the marrow leaking from the end of the rib bone from one rack to the rack below.

One of the bones next to the discoloration was broken, when I saw it I figured the black stuff was the cause of the bone breakage/degradation and not vice versa. But since I didn't notice any off odors or anything else with the ribs, and the rest of the slab actually looked fine when I cut the ribs up, I think the leaking marrow was the cause. Good to know for next time!

I have seen this once before, but mine was a much smaller spot. I threw out the rib and didn't think anything of it since I haven't seen it since.

Back