Big pork butt question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
I think the wife is giving me a hint. All told I noticed about 30 pounds of pork butt in the freezer or about to be frozen.

I have a 15lb Sam?s package of pork butt but do not want to cook it in the immediate future. Does it work freezing the whole double butt package or re-bag in one gal bags separately? I suppose that if I re-bag I would add dry seasoning.

I?m concerned more about the thaw process and not if we will cook one or two butts at once.

Best to leave the butts in cryo to freeze, the seal is generally better than you can produce. This allows you to store better without burn.
Jim

A good rule of thumb that so far has worked for me is that meat (any kind) defrosts on the top shelf of your fridge at a rate of 3-4 lbs/day. A couple of weeks ago I defrosted 15 pounds of cryovaced butt (2-pack) in my fridge. I planned to cook the two butts beginning Friday night. I took the cryovaced two pack out of my freezer on Monday and by Friday it was completely defrosted. In fact, it was defrosted enough to put the rub on Thursday night. It still felt frozen in the deep center, but that doesn't impact the rub. By Friday night it was good to go. Its easy, you just have to plan ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back