Better charcoal chamber?

Al_G

To keep a long story short, my extremely malicious ex-wife chose to be very petty about everything. One of the things she did was throw away a few parts to my 22.5" WSM. I'm missing the charcoal chamber and since I have to buy a new one, I'm wondering if there are any good improved ones other than the stock Weber part?

She didn't do anything major, but along with the charcoal chamber she tossed the extra grate at the bottom, pulled the pin and bolt on the hinge and got rid of the kill plug for my digital controller.

Stock chamber is about $55, third party ones about twice that. If you don’t go stock, check out Hunsaker vortex basket.

LOL ... I was about to comment about Hunsaker. Anyway here is the link Hunsaker Vortex

I will comment I did buy a Cajun Bandit Ring and door kit. Love the door, but on the site the picture of ring shows that it's welded. What you get is riveted. Wasn't to happy about that. Any case their rings are 44 bucks.

To keep a long story short, my extremely malicious ex-wife chose to be very petty about everything. One of the things she did was throw away a few parts to my 22.5" WSM. I'm missing the charcoal chamber and since I have to buy a new one, I'm wondering if there are any good improved ones other than the stock Weber part?

She didn't do anything major, but along with the charcoal chamber she tossed the extra grate at the bottom, pulled the pin and bolt on the hinge and got rid of the kill plug for my digital controller.

Are you talking actual chamber, like the bowl? Or do you mean the charcoal ring?

Had my first cook on the 22 this weekend and decided I needed a bit more charcoal capacity. Did a little mod with some scrap we had at work to add some. The wires I tied with were basically just to hold it together while transporting it. I'll leave them, sure they won't last long.

To attach the addition to the original basket I welded a piece of small rod on the outside of the addition every third around, and a piece between those every third around on the inside, extending about an inch down. Just set it on top and it holds into place. I didn't feel comfortable grinding away the enamel on the original basket to get down to the metal to weld the two pieces together.

Circumference of the addition piece is at about 54". Added a little ventilation with a die grinder and a step bit.

IMG_6702.JPG

Another alternative is to make your own using expanded metal like we do for Smokey Joe mini WSMs, just larger in diameter.

chamber-3.jpg

The nerve. Attacking your smoker. WTH? Is nothing sacred to her?

Id vote you buy the extra large one , or make it yourself.

LOL ... I was about to comment about Hunsaker. Anyway here is the link Hunsaker Vortex

I will comment I did buy a Cajun Bandit Ring and door kit. Love the door, but on the site the picture of ring shows that it's welded. What you get is riveted. Wasn't to happy about that. Any case their rings are 44 bucks.
Mine is a welded piece. About 4 years old. Must have changed up.

Mine is a welded piece. About 4 years old. Must have changed up.

Well -the heartburn is show one thing on the site and sell you something else. No cool at all. I did complain - "show the product your selling". Didn't go anywhere. I won't be buying anything else from them unless there is no choice.

I have had to replace the charcoal ring in my 12 year old WSM twice and have bought at least 6 charcoal grates. I stumbled across this tonight because I need another charcoal ring and grate. They have a 18.5" and 22.5" one. The stainless steel charcoal grate and charcoal ring are welded together and there is a nice handle on it as well. I decided to get one even though it is $100 shipped for the 18.5". I figure if it is as solid as it looks I will never have to order another ring or grate again. Plus it is a small family business from Michigan and they can probably use the business right now. I will post some pictures and give a review on it when I get it.

I have had to replace the charcoal ring in my 12 year old WSM twice and have bought at least 6 charcoal grates.
Wow! My charcoal chamber is original from 1997, it's not pretty but it's structurally sound. I've replaced charcoal grates maybe twice but it was always for aesthetics, not because it rust through. To what do you attribute having to replace your rings and grates so often? Just curious.

Wow! My charcoal chamber is original from 1997, it's not pretty but it's structurally sound. I've replaced charcoal grates maybe twice but it was always for aesthetics, not because it rust through. To what do you attribute having to replace your rings and grates so often? Just curious.

I'm not the best when it comes to remembering to cover up the WSM and it gets rained on quite often. Living near the ocean probably doesn't help either. In all honesty the charcoal chambers were probably fine to use but the rust bothered me.

Have any of you ordered baskets/addons from thewoodshedbbqbasket on etsy? Handmade, watched his youtube videos.

I am finally using the basket I got from Arborfab.com. It arrived less than a week after ordering but I haven't had time to try it out. I will say it is very heavy duty and will probably last forever and it can hold a LOT of charcoal. I'm only doing a few Spares today so I only filled it up about halfway. I like the fact that the bottom grate is welded on and the 1/2" holes are perfect for lump charcoal. I used to have to cris cross two grates. The only cons I see is the price(obviously) and the sharp corners at the top. I would think for $75(not shipped) they could take a grinder and flatten the sharp corners. If it weren't for the welded on handle the corners could be a hazard. I will probably grind them down myself this week. I also think they could find a better shipping alternative. $25 is a little steep. They are using USPS large flat rate boxes so they aren't charging much more than the flat rate but I think they could get better deals elsewhere. All in All I don't regret the purchase, as long as it lasts as long as I think it will, and the small family owned business probably needed the business right now.

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 91
  • basket 2.jpg
    basket 2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 91
I used my Arborfab basket for the first time last week. Dumped 2 full 11.8 lb bags of Kingsford Pro and it not even level with the top of the basket. Did a 7 hour hot and fast brisket and never had to add any coal. Temps never dropped either.

I am finally using the basket I got from Arborfab.com. It arrived less than a week after ordering but I haven't had time to try it out. I will say it is very heavy duty and will probably last forever and it can hold a LOT of charcoal. I'm only doing a few Spares today so I only filled it up about halfway. I like the fact that the bottom grate is welded on and the 1/2" holes are perfect for lump charcoal. I used to have to cris cross two grates. The only cons I see is the price(obviously) and the sharp corners at the top. I would think for $75(not shipped) they could take a grinder and flatten the sharp corners. If it weren't for the welded on handle the corners could be a hazard. I will probably grind them down myself this week. I also think they could find a better shipping alternative. $25 is a little steep. They are using USPS large flat rate boxes so they aren't charging much more than the flat rate but I think they could get better deals elsewhere. All in All I don't regret the purchase, as long as it lasts as long as I think it will, and the small family owned business probably needed the business right now.

Will the water pan still fit?

Back