Best Way to Store Brisket After Injecting

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Hello,

I am planning to smoke a packer this weekend, and want to try injecting it for the first time.

I did a whole packer for Memorial Day but did not inject. It came out good, but the inner meat in the flat section was lacking flavor. I'm hoping an injection will improve that.

Anyways, I am planning to inject Friday night, then begin smoking Saturday morning.

I will need to store the brisket overnight in an air-tight fashion. When I inject or rub butts the night before, I store in a jumbo ziploc bag; however, I really can't see a packer brisket fitting in there.

My only idea is to maybe wrap in foil, then wrap in cling wrap over that. Does anyone else have a method they use for this type of situation?

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

We normally inject it while in one of those disposable aluminum pans, drain any spilled solution, cover then place in refrig. A little word of caution (just in case...), when you inject, use your finger on the needle as a depth stop so you don't get into nor through the fat cap. ;)

Are you using your own injection solution or a commercial 'blend' ?

Bob

I've never tried it, but some inject right thru the cryovac while it's in a pan.

Tim

I've never tried it, but some inject right thru the cryovac while it's in a pan.

Tim

I've heard of that, but I would think that you'd still need to re-cover it, as poking holes in the cryovac would allow air to get to the brisket.

Hi Bryan,

We normally inject it while in one of those disposable aluminum pans, drain any spilled solution, cover then place in refrig. A little word of caution (just in case...), when you inject, use your finger on the needle as a depth stop so you don't get into nor through the fat cap. ;)

Are you using your own injection solution or a commercial 'blend' ?

Bob

Am planning to use my own injection that is low sodium beef broth based. Can you fit a packer into an alumnium pan? I'm thinking I might have to fold it over itself for that to work.

You can usually fit a brisket on a half sheet pan, or if you don't have one of those, maybe your oven's broiler pan. it doesn't have to be air tight for overnight storage, just covered to stop it from drying out too much/getting cross contaminated from other things in the fridge.

Bryan,

Good idea on the beef broth. In the past, we used beef stock but reduced it by 50% thereby concentrated it by 100%. The disposable pans are full-sized steam tray pans, 20 3/4 x 12 13/16 x 3 3/16.

Bob

I bought a plastic meat lug tub from a restaurant supply store (Cabela's has 'em, too) and I use these to store after injecting in a large plastic cooking bag (I also get these in boxes of 100ct from the restaurant supply. Makes cleanup a breeze. I trim, rub, inject, etc, on a huge plastic tray that's used in pastry making (essentially a cafeteria-style try, just 18x26"). I then transfer it to the bag that's sitting in the meat lug opened and ready. Then, if I'm home, it goes in my garage fridge. If I'm at an event and I'll be cooking within a couple hours, then layer the bottom with ice and close the bag up and place it on top of the ice, putting more around it. (By this time we're usually done with the ice, anyway, as the meat's beginning to be put on the cookers.). If it will be awhile, I'll double bag it and put it in the cooler.

Bryan,

Good idea on the beef broth. In the past, we used beef stock but reduced it by 50% thereby concentrated it by 100%. The disposable pans are full-sized steam tray pans, 20 3/4 x 12 13/16 x 3 3/16.

Bob

Would you be able to tell me where you bought these pans or give me a link to them online? I'm looking at Amazon and am seeing some things that look similar, but not sure if it's the exact thing you are describing.

Would you be able to tell me where you bought these pans or give me a link to them online? I'm looking at Amazon and am seeing some things that look similar, but not sure if it's the exact thing you are describing.

Hi Bryan,

Sams Club. Also purchased the top covers too.
Bakers & Chefs brand
15 pack
full sized Aluminum Steam Table Pans
part number GBN67381-0
upc number 0 78742 10280 1

On the Samsclub website :
Item # 658700
or for the 30 count pak... Item # 658707

for the lids :
15 count : Item # 439390
30 count : Item # 439376

Bob

Last edited:
I found a full size steam table pan at my local grocery store yesterday. I tested it out and the brisket will fit. I think I'll wrap the pan with cling wrap to store overnight.

Thanks for all the help. I'll TRY to take pics and post after I'm done. I find that I'm not very good at taking pics though.

Back