Best Ribs In The Universe (BRITU) question...

M Craw

TVWBB Super Fan
I've always wanted to try this technique of smoking baby backs, and might just do so this coming weekend, but I have a question.

From the VWB page (found here) its says to:

Close all three bottom vents, but set the top vent fully open and leave it that way during the entire cooking process.

and then goes on to say:
During the first three hours, adjust the bottom vents to maintain a cooker temperature of 225°F.

And that is confusing to me. Will I need to adjust the bottom vents to maintain the cooker temp of 225°, or do I keep all bottom vents closed and will inevitably keep a temp of 225°? Or adjust as needed, as my mileage may vary? Thx in advance, and sorry if this question has come up before. I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for.

Also, I don't have one, and have never used a rib rack in my 18" WSM... Should I get one?

I hit that snag also, when I smoked BRITU.

You will have to open the bottom vents when the ribs go on the cooker. At that point, IIRC, the cooker temp will be down below 100* , or thereabouts.

About the rib rack, I've always had one and use it a lot on the WSM and the Kettle. It creates more room. Its not necessary , but good to have.

Yeah, I'm sure there's no doubting they're the best ;) , but I simply want to try to use the cooking method.

Thanks for the replies.

I think what's suppose to happen, is the wood chunks become completely in flame, then burn down to a point that they no longer smolder and suppose to get cleaner smoke. That's the best I can guess.

I use to do BRITU often , or at least I used that rub. IIRC, early on in this forum, BRITU was very popular. I think I recall seeing it done , a lot.

Also, I don't have one, and have never used a rib rack in my 18" WSM... Should I get one?

Maybe. Depends on how many, how big, and what kind of ribs you are cooking. The 18 cooking grate is usually only big enough to handle one full size (ie. St. Louis) slab in one piece per cooking grate. Baby backs are smaller so you maybe can get more on each grate.

To fit more/differently, you can trim the slabs, cut the slabs in half, roll the slabs, drape the slabs, hang the slabs (my method) and/or put slabs in some kind of rib rack.

And you can fit more slabs laying flat on a WSM 22 or some kind of square/rectangular smoker (pellet grill, offset or cabinet smoker).

Last edited:
Yes, I'll clarify this point in the article. Initially, you're closing the bottom vents to drive down the cooker temp due to the flaming wood chunks. But once you put the ribs in the cooker, you'll need to open the vents and make adjustments to maintain 225°F as best you can.

Any recipe that touts itself as "best" should immediately viewed with a healthy amount of suspicion.;)

Remember, the name "Best Ribs In The Universe" comes from having won that title at the 1996 American Royal Invitational. Kind of like winning the World Series with only North America teams playing. Not to mention leaving out all the other teams across the galaxy! ;)

Back