Best Hamburger Recipies

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So I am getting ready to do some burgers up and am interested in trying something different, can you guys post up your favorite Burger Recipies. What meat and spice herb combo's seem best. Cheese?

Hey Bill, I always start with the 80/20 beef. I add 1 tablespoon of bacon fat for every pound of burger. S&P of course and sometime Worchester sauce. I cook with the reverse sear method which I just learned. For cheese I just Colby or cheddar.

I just did "Caprese" burgers yesterday. Italian herbs, S&P on the inside. Topped with provolone/mozzarella, fresh basil, tomato, EVOO and balsamic.

Another I like to do is Greek style. 50/50 beef lamb with lots of oregano, lemon zest and S&P. serve on a grilled pita with tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, red onion and tomato.

Ground chuck mixed with diced onion and shredded cheddar is good. Burgers can be simple or with a gazillion spices
and sauces. Grill me a burger over the charcoal with a little smokewood added, top it with a scrambled egg and I am happy
for a while.

for my quick burgers, I just use a frozen patty w/salt, pepper and garlic powder on the foreman

for my better burgers which are usually grilled but may also go on the foreman, i take whatever ground meat i have on hand(I've used beef, turkey, venison, pork, and combinations thereof) add Worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic powder, teriyaki sauce and some sage or rosemary if i'm feeling frisky. I've also used just a general steak topping(like Montreal or Weber) for grilling and mixed into the ground with good results.

toast a bun then add toppings/condiments as desired

I've also done stuffed burgers before, but they can a pain to prepare sometimes

80/20 ground chuck. Dice onions, add two tablespoons ranch dressing mix (the mix dry not the dressing) per lbs. and ground pepper. Pat out thick.

I cook with charcoal so I get the coals really really hot (cherry red hot) put the burgers on put the lid on and close all the vents. At exactly ten minutes I flip the burgers add cheese (pepper jack for me and American for the kids) put the lid back on just long enough to melt the cheese. That's it simple and delicious...think I'll be having burgers now for dinner :)

80/20 beef,blue cheese in the middle,juicy lucy style,seasoned with salt,pepper,garlic and onion powders. Melted cheddar on top. My go to recipe.

Bacon cheeseburgers and green chile cheese burgers are my favorite, Smashburger style. Google it. Mushroom Swiss is a close second.

Wow ask and you shall receive, you guys are great, saw four or five i am going to try.

Let me ask one thing, why the 80-20 chuck?

I use whatever is on sale, then add some voodoo seasoning from some guy in Texas that makes it in a cement mixer. It's close to Montreal seasoning, nwo I like to go a bit crazy but one time I took a handful of Ritz Crackers crushed them and mixed them in.......and I've been doing it ever since. You know how they say everything taste better on a Ritz.....you 'll have a hard time finding them once the burger is cooked.......

Wow ask and you shall receive, you guys are great, saw four or five i am going to try.

Let me ask one thing, why the 80-20 chuck?

Fat for flavor and doesn't dry out like lean. As for me, thick and cooked to medium, and topped with a strong cheese, then mayo, mustard, pickles and onion.......I've tried many burgers, but this is the one I come back to over and over. I grill them hot and fast, 3 minutes per side for a thick burger......I know everyone has their favorite way, but it's all gooooooood..........................d

I guess the beauty of the burger is that there are just so many great ways to make them...all the above sound pretty darn good!

My current favorite - 80/20 chuck. K salt and pepper or Weber Gourmet Burger, goat cheese, sour pickle, mayo on a kaiser roll. Also like to do same with provolone, pickled jalapenos, red onion and mayo on kaiser.

Now I'm hungry!!!

Last edited:
For you guys who use the goat cheese, do you add it during the cook like other cheeses or are they mixed with the meat prior to the cook?

Fat for flavor and doesn't dry out like lean. As for me, thick and cooked to medium, and topped with a strong cheese, then mayo, mustard, pickles and onion.......I've tried many burgers, but this is the one I come back to over and over. I grill them hot and fast, 3 minutes per side for a thick burger......I know everyone has their favorite way, but it's all gooooooood..........................d

My favorite burgers is like David cooks them. Get grilled over lump charcoal.

I like fresh ground beef, fried in a pan in beef fat with only S&P.

On the grill over a hot charcoal fire direct is good too, but I think the pan is the way to go (blasphemy on this site I know!)

I like fresh ground beef, fried in a pan in beef fat with only S&P.

On the grill over a hot charcoal fire direct is good too, but I think the pan is the way to go (blasphemy on this site I know!)

Same here. My best burgers are in the cast iron, but outside on the gas grill. 80/20, S&P. Hotter than blazes pan. I do them on charcoal when I've got it fired up for a longer cook. Family preference is the cast iron.

Last edited:

Back