BEST Cheesburgers I've ever made!

Ben S.

TVWBB Member
I've been searching for the Holy Grail of cheeseburger's for longer than I care to think about. I think back and remember the best one's from the old greasy spoon's I used to frequent. Perhaps time and old age clouds my memory, but I remember the old burgers with great fondness about the absolute flavor you could get out of a simple burger!

This is a recipe from Cook's Illustraated, that comes as close to real flavor and texure of those long remembered (but not forgotten) days. I grind mine coarsely using a grinder, whereas they use a food processor. Either procedure works well. Try it and see how you like it.

Best Old-Fashioned Burgers

Sirloin steak tips are also labeled “flap meat” by some butchers. Flank steak can be used in its place. This recipe yields juicy medium to medium-well burgers. It’s important to use very soft buns. If doubling the recipe, process the meat in three batches in step 2. Because the cooked burgers do not hold well, fry four burgers and serve them immediately before frying more. Or, cook them in two pans. Extra patties can be frozen for up to 2 weeks. Stack the patties, separated by parchment, and wrap them in three layers of plastic wrap. Thaw burgers in a single layer on a baking sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.

INGREDIENTS

10 ounces sirloin steak tips , cut into 1-inch chunks (see note above)
6 ounces beef short ribs (boneless), cut into 1-inch chunks
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 hamburger buns , soft (see note)
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 slices American cheese
Thinly sliced onion

1. Place beef chunks on baking sheet in single layer, leaving 1/2 inch of space around each chunk. Freeze meat until very firm and starting to harden around edges but still pliable, 15 to 25 minutes.
2. Place half of meat in food processor and pulse until meat is coarsely ground, 10 to 15 one-second pulses, stopping and redistributing meat around bowl as necessary to ensure beef is evenly ground. Transfer meat to baking sheet, overturning bowl and without directly touching meat. Repeat grinding with remaining meat. Spread meat over sheet and inspect carefully, discarding any long strands of gristle or large chunks of hard meat or fat.
3. Gently separate ground meat into 4 equal mounds. Without picking meat up, with your fingers gently shape each mound into loose patty 1/2 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter, leaving edges and surface ragged. Season top of each patty with salt and pepper. Using spatula, flip patties and season other side. Refrigerate while toasting buns.
4. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium heat until foaming. Add bun tops, cut-side down, and toast until light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining butter and bun bottoms. Set buns aside and wipe out skillet with paper towels.
5. Return skillet to high heat; add oil and heat until just smoking. Using spatula, transfer burgers to skillet and cook without moving for 3 minutes. Using spatula, flip burgers over and cook for 1 minute. Top each patty with slice of cheese and continue to cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute longer.
6. Transfer patties to bun bottoms and top with onion. Spread 2 teaspoons of burger sauce on each bun top. Cover burgers and serve immediately.

Ben

Your bun method reminded me of a way I make flank steak sandwhichs. I toast my bread and then cover it with melted butter with garlic salt to taste.

Try toasting those buns in that mixture next time, at least one to try. I am looking forward to trying your cheeseburger concoction.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been searching for the Holy Grail of cheeseburger's for longer than I care to think about. I think back and remember the best one's from the old greasy spoon's I used to frequent. Perhaps time and old age clouds my memory, but I remember the old burgers with great fondness about the absolute flavor you could get out of a simple burger! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fondly recall of one of the very best cheeseburgers I had. It was on the Amtrak train, back when they actually cooked in the Grill car. The cook had the filthiest fingernails I think I've ever seen, but the cheeseburger was fantastic. To this day I remember that cheeseburger and hope the taste and the cook's fingernails were not related.

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Silver:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fondly recall of one of the very best cheeseburgers I had. It was on the Amtrak train, back when they actually cooked in the Grill car. The cook had the filthiest fingernails I think I've ever seen, but the cheeseburger was fantastic. To this day I remember that cheeseburger and hope the taste and the cook's fingernails were not related.

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe.[/QUOTE]

Mark, that was hilarious!
icon_biggrin.gif
At least with this recipe, you may use whatever "flavorings" you wish to achieve the end result. LMAO!

I think what gives this the extraordinary flavor are the boneless beef ribs, which contain a lot of beef fat. Using the 60/40 ratio of the recipe, I think will provide about 20% fat content, and we all know the moistness and flavor comes from that. Just make sure it's ground or processed coarsely, and formed just enough to keep it together. My burgers are juicy, flavorable and tender, but I think I'll pass on the additives.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ben

I've made this twice now, but just ground a chuck roast in my Kitchenaid grinder. These will definitely give grilled hamburgers a run for their money.

One trick when you are grinding the meat is to keep the meat fibers going in one direction

For example - you grind the meat like this.... I am careful to lay it down in a cold metal pan keeping the lines intact.

===========
===========
===========
(each line is a stand of meat or what comes out of the meat grinder)

Then keep all the meat in the same pattern when you make burgers, but be sure to keep the lines intact but flip it so the meat direction is now going up/down.

||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||

(Burger diagram)

Now the burger will be extra tender as the chunks of meat will come off very easily.

Try it - you might like it. You can still season the meat etc. I don't add binders or fillers to my burgers typically, other than sometimes a centre of blue cheese or something.

Back