Best Accessories For 22" Weber Kettles

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
So just got the Weber Performer Deluxe and will be putting it together on the weekend.

Also bought a Slow N Sear and a Vortex (knockoff) along with some stuff to clean the kettle (putty knives, razors, etc...).

Just wondering what other awesome accessories there are out there that really make a difference or raise the convenience level of the kettle?

Thanks!

Was going to post this in the Weber Accessories section, but wasn't sure if it should go there since I am mostly talking about 3rd party (non-Weber) accessories.... but am open to suggestions on Weber brand as well if they really are worth the purchase.

I recently purchased a used grill that came with a Drip N Griddle from Slow N Sear. It's actually a pretty nice way to keep your kettle clean. It basically covers the entire other side of the kettle that the Slow n Sear doesn't, so all the drippings drop there. Especially nice keeping the burner tube clean.

Wooden handles are a cool upgrade, but just a cosmetic thing. You can even get a matching wooden vent handle too. If you look up River City Woodworks on Facebook you can send Mark Britt a message. He makes top notch stuff and very nice guy.

Weber Chimney is something I use every cook. Load it up with charcoal, put it on top of the burner of the Performer and coals are good to go in about 5-10 min.

A stick thermometer is nice to have if you don't already have one...much easier to measure temp of the meat then guess at it.

Dual-probe thermometer is great for a low and slow cool; one to measure grate temp and the other for meat.

Welding gloves for handling hot grates, chimney, etc...

Since your grill is new, you don't need a new grate, but once you do....Aura makes an excellent and affordable charcoal grate. KillaGrilla makes very nice (and expensive) grates too. Slow N Sear's easy spin grate is affordable and I've heard good things about it.

After taking apart so many Performers this year, one thing I'd recommend is to replace all the nuts, bolts and washers that attach to the bowl of the grill with stainless steel ones. When you do need to disassemble your grill, you'll be glad you have SS nuts and bolts to deal with versus messing with the dang round screwdriver heads spinning around on you.

I recently purchased a easy spin grate. I think it's a little on the flimsy side. I do like it as the fold up grate section matches the Slow n Sear opening. The only real con is that the fold up grate part is not stainless with the main grate. So the fold up grate piece will degrade and rust out as mine is doing. I do have the Drip N griddle and it's a great accessory no issues with that. Hunsaker Smokers has griddles for Kettles as well.

Editing this as my statement as the not stainless part is not factual - this is just an observation of using the product. Bad wording on my behalf.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a easy spin grate. I think it's a little on the flimsy side. I do like it as the fold up grate section matches the Slow n Sear opening. The only real con is that the fold up grate part is not stainless as with the main grate. So the fold up grate piece will degrade and rust out as mine is doing. I do have the Drip N griddle and it's a great accessory no issues with that. Hunsaker Smokers has griddles for Kettles as well.
Interesting note on the easy spin. I didn't know the movable section wasn't SS. Guess that's how they keep their costs down.

And yes, Hunsaker. How could I forget that. Their griddles are so affordable, totally worth the price. Very fun waking up and making bacon and eggs on the kettle! Smash burgers and hibachi are fun too. Hunsaker also makes a beefy SS grate that is a fixed grate no flip for a good price. I have one that I use for the charcoal grate on my 26"

I’m pretty sure my easy spin is 100% 304 ss. And they state that it is on their website as well. If you leave the fold up part constantly over the sear zone pretty much any steel, including ss, will start to degrade. Stain less but not totally rust free.

[/QUOTE]
I’m pretty sure my easy spin is 100% 304 ss. And they state that it is on their website as well. If you leave the fold up part constantly over the sear zone pretty much any steel, including ss, will start to degrade. Stain less but not totally rust free.

You are right. I use both pieces over the sear zone hence the easy spin. The foldable grate just seems different material. This piece started doing this after the 1st cook, which I would not expect. My post is not factual to wheither the grate is SS , just an observation, I will need to fix.

Interesting note on the easy spin. I didn't know the movable section wasn't SS. Guess that's how they keep their costs down.

And yes, Hunsaker. How could I forget that. Their griddles are so affordable, totally worth the price. Very fun waking up and making bacon and eggs on the kettle! Smash burgers and hibachi are fun too. Hunsaker also makes a beefy SS grate that is a fixed grate no flip for a good price. I have one that I use for the charcoal grate on my 26"

My bad wording or description is not factual on whether that piece is SS or not. I don't know for sure. I should of not said that, as there are no factual information behind it. Shame on me.

There is a current thread over on the Weber Kettle Club that has some good info on this topic:

WKC 3 favorite grill accessories

Charcoal chimney seems like a necessity more than an accessory it's like a measuring cup for charcoal (plus it lights the coals faster)

I also use a foxtail brush to sweep out ash before each cook

I have to say I really like the BBQ dragon fan - it's got a wide spring loaded clamp so you can quickly clamp it to darn near anything and a flexible head so you can aim it right where you want to. I use it before almost every cook - you can leave the old coals in the baskets, get about 1/2 chimney going, dump the hot coals on top of the old coals and then get everything stoked with a little extra help from the fan - it doesn't take long to get things going.
I also use it when setting up the snake for smoking - when I dump the hot coals at the head of the snake I use the fan to make sure the head is lighting the fuse for a good burning snake.

There is a current thread over on the Weber Kettle Club that has some good info on this topic:

WKC 3 favorite grill accessories

Charcoal chimney seems like a necessity more than an accessory it's like a measuring cup for charcoal (plus it lights the coals faster)

I also use a foxtail brush to sweep out ash before each cook

I have to say I really like the BBQ dragon fan - it's got a wide spring loaded clamp so you can quickly clamp it to darn near anything and a flexible head so you can aim it right where you want to. I use it before almost every cook - you can leave the old coals in the baskets, get about 1/2 chimney going, dump the hot coals on top of the old coals and then get everything stoked with a little extra help from the fan - it doesn't take long to get things going.
I also use it when setting up the snake for smoking - when I dump the hot coals at the head of the snake I use the fan to make sure the head is lighting the fuse for a good burning snake.

Some good suggestions over there except the one that recommended using Matchlight charcoal 🤮

I have been using my SS SlowNSear Easy Spin Grate for the last couple of years with no rust issues. One great piece of equipment in my BBQ Arsenal which replaced the Weber Crome Grate that came with my Weber Performer Deluxe.
I also purchased new the SS SlowNSear Plus, SS DripNGriddle Pan,the new SS Mini Drip Pan and their SS Elevated Grate.

To Date I remain one-happy SlowNSear Customer!

Last edited:
Some good suggestions over there except the one that recommended using Matchlight charcoal 🤮
That was me in a previous post as I too was skeptical of using the "Matchlight"until around six(6) months ago the Cosco-like store here in Costa Rica quit selling the Kingsford BlueBag. I do not use it when smoking on my WSM but use it all the time when grilling on my Weber Performer Deluxe as I follow the instructions listed on the Matchlight bag to begin grilling when the Briquets are fully lit(around 20 minutes). To date it has not left any oder or smell of fuel on our "eats".

Ok, now I understand what you meant. I newer found a big difference in the fold up part vs the rest of the easy spin.But I almost never have it attached so it is not subject to the high temp above the sear zone, i spin the remaining grate with meat over the hot zone when i sear and for most of the time the grates are not in the hot sear zone. Reverse sear and semi cold grate technique if you like.

You are right. I use both pieces over the sear zone hence the easy spin. The foldable grate just seems different material. This piece started doing this after the 1st cook, which I would not expect. My post is not factual to wheither the grate is SS , just an observation, I will need to fix.
[/QUOTE]

I

After taking apart so many Performers this year, one thing I'd recommend is to replace all the nuts, bolts and washers that attach to the bowl of the grill with stainless steel ones. When you do need to disassemble your grill, you'll be glad you have SS nuts and bolts to deal with versus messing with the dang round screwdriver heads spinning around on you.

I bought my Weber Performer Deluxe assembled, so, are the SS nuts and bolts Weber propriatary, if not, what size are they?

As I think about this question I do not include all purpose BBQing gear, the chimney, gloves, good grill cover, a good grill brush, good set of tongs and spatula, and dual thermometer, as those all are tools I use for both the 22 kettle and 14 WSM. However, it was all that must have BBQ gear I purchased before I move forward with my three items below. If you have the above gear then here are the three assessors that have added to my kettle experience.

1. 10 inch lodge Cast Iron skillet. This is used almost every time I fire up my kettle, grilled veggies, smash burgers, reverse sear steaks, and so much more. I also have a grill basket, but the CI skillet is always my first choice and the grill basket comes out when I need the CI skillet and another similar cooking device.

2. Vortex. I keep using this tool for all things chicken, it just works, 4 cooks in two weeks.

3. A good pizza stone. My pizza stone is a game changer. Grilled pizzas, calzons, sandwiches, and garlic bread on all done on that guy.

Still on my list of tools/toys I want.

1. A rotisserie, pricey but the food I see this guys turn out with them is amazing, I will add one at some point.

2. SS charcoal and cooking grates. I will wait until I need to upgrade each of those grates and will make that move.

A nice, big, carbon steel wok. Turn the vortex upside down (wide side up), fill it with coal, slip the wok on the GBS opening over the vortex, and stir fry.
WOW, that sound amazing, yep just added to my wish list.
3. Matching wood handles, vent handled, and lid bail spindles. A true splurge over need, so not anytime to soon.

A nice, big, carbon steel wok. Turn the vortex upside down (wide side up), fill it with coal, slip the wok on the GBS opening over the vortex, and stir fry.

This is what pushed me over the edge in terms of buying the Vortex. I figured I could heat a wok nicely (i.e. insanely hot).

Rotisserie is a great thing to have, I'm overdue for firing mine up again.

A table - it can be a side table, or a built in one like on a Performer, but you gotta have a table that is the same height as the kettle.

Back