BERTOLI RIBOLLITA CON CROSTINI DI PANE

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
Ripped this out of a magazine in 2000 and it became a family favorite. It’s been a few years but this weekend was a good one to make it again.

291F8CF4-A8AF-4C49-9EF7-46FE18F3B539.jpeg

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (and more for serving)

1/4 cup chopped fennel

1/4 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped carrots

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

6 cups chicken broth

1 (28 oz.) can Italian plum tomatoes, cut up

2 cups peeled and diced russet potato

1 1/2 cups canned cannelli beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup finely shredded Savoy cabbage or Swiss chard

1 cup diced zucchini

2 tablespoons fresh parsley

2 tablespoons basil

salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

8 slices Italian bread (1/2-inch diagonally sliced), one per bowl

Combine the 1/4 cup olive oil, fennel, celery, onions, carrots, garlic and thyme in a large heavy saucepan. Cover and cook over medium low heat until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes. Do not brown.

Stir in the broth, tomatoes, potato, beans, and cabbage or Swiss chard. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.

Add the zucchini, parsley and basil. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat. Refrigerate for 24 hours.

TO SERVE:

Just before serving, heat to boiling. Place a piece of bread in each of 8 soup plates. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Ladle soup over the bread and allow to soak up the soup.

Servings: 8

Source: Bertoli

Yes, have some!
I just showed it to my loving wife, she wants it for dinner! I think we will have it for tonight and compare for tomorrow after the overnight rest. I know it’s always better “next day” no matter what!

Last edited:
Have enjoyed it for two evening repasts, second night better than first but, only by a little, I’ve got some left yet I don’t know that I want it for a third consecutive dinner but, it’s an excellent soup! Thanks for sharing!!

I had some leftover Swiss chard and cannellini beans from the weekend, so I made this soup that my wife is fond of.

Not in the same league as the ribollita, but good for a weeknight:
Turkey meatball and escarole soup:

Ingredients​

Whole wheat bread 2 slice(s), crust removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 cup(s), or 2 (32-ounce) cartons

1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk

Uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast 1¼ pounds

1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 large minced shallot

3 Tbsp fresh parsley flat leaf, chopped, divided

1 tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil

4 cup(s), escarole, Swiss chard or kale, thinly sliced leaves, lightly packed

Canned cannellini beans15½ oz, rinsed and drained

Instructions​

1. Mix together bread and milk in large bowl; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turkey, Parmesan, egg, shallot, 2 tbsp parsley, salt, and pepper, stirring until mixed well but not overmixed.
  2. With damp hands, shape turkey mixture into 24 meatballs, using about 2 tbsp for each meatball; transfer meatballs to sheet of foil as they are shaped. Wash bowl.
  3. Heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, in two batches, and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer meatballs to cleaned bowl as they are browned.
  4. Combine broth, escarole, and beans in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker; add meatballs. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 4 hours on Low. Serve soup sprinkled with remaining 1 tbsp parsley.
  5. Serving size: 1 1/3 cups soup and 3 meatballs
8DDFA2A8-3672-4335-A8B7-2B39BAC93F2C.jpeg46416BB3-764F-46D0-93E1-A10FCBE98BE2.jpeg

Last edited:

Back