Beef Sticks and Chicken Sunday

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
What to do at 2 AM when you wake up feeling like crap, can't go back to sleep, and you're constantly coughing. Start the Beef Sticks earlier than planned. I walked out in the garage and as the door opened this tee shirt and shorts old fart was reminded that the overnight forecast was for a low of 37. NOOOO, this is Florida. I threw on a long sleeve shirt, rolled the EX6 out and set up my hot plate and smoke tube. At 3 AM the Beef Sticks went on and after 5 hours of all electric and 3 hours of smokeboost I had 5 lbs. of goodness. This afternoon I cooked a spatchcock Chicken that had dry brined for 24 hours. I slathered it with herb butter before putting it on the grill. 385 degrees F for 1.5 hours. on the top grate. As lousy as I felt, I can't believe how good the food off the Smokefire was today. My wife was delighted with the Chicken.3-13-22 Chicken.jpg.

Your chicken looks mighty tasty and I'm sure your beef sticks were good, too. I hope you're feeling much better by now!

Lew,
Chicken looks great, the story is even better. My grandparents live outside of Pittsburgh. In my early 20's we would go to concerts in Pittsburgh we would drive out stop in see then and then stay the night at my grandparents house after the concert. I remember this one time we were getting back to their house just before 3 am and my grandfather was sitting at the table sorting a coffee tin of random nuts and bots into a plastic diver container. We were like what are you doing up, he was like, I got up about a half hour ago. I will never forget that!

Ain't gettin old wonderful. I tell Barb if I'm still in bed at 7am call the coroner, it has nothing to do with me falling asleep in my recliner at 7:30 pm waking up at 2am and going to bed a lay there wide awake and finally get up at 4:30-5pm.
By the way Lew that chicken looks great

Ain't gettin old wonderful. I tell Barb if I'm still in bed at 7am call the coroner, it has nothing to do with me falling asleep in my recliner at 7:30 pm waking up at 2am and going to bed a lay there wide awake and finally get up at 4:30-5pm.
By the way Lew that chicken looks great
Gettin old is what it is. All we can do is adjust and keep having fun doing what we're still able to do. If not for a pellet grill my BBQ days could be over - but that ain't happening yet. .

Back