Beef Rib Shortage ?

MikeS in Alaska

TVWBB Fan
So I got a hankerin' to try smoking some beef ribs on the WSM only to find out beef ribs are a rare commodity in Anchorage.

Went to both food chains, to Costco, and to the local butcher shop.

Only the local butcher has any, and they are frozen. Will have to see if they are suitable or just dog treats.

I can get more pork ribs than you can shake a stick at.

Where's the Beef?

Most likely it was something decided by a bean counter in Portland or Kent. Many times we don't see a product because the company decides there is either not enough profit or "it's too much trouble".

They don’t live near me either Mike! I suppose it’s like you state, all about margin, Profit margin that is. I think I want to do some and I either miss them or am shopping the wrong places!

Last edited:
Beef short ribs aren't that easy to find here either and I'm in North Texas. I've asked my butcher and was able to get them, but you won't usually find them in super markets. When I have they are cut Flanken Style. Beef back ribs usually aren't worth the trouble in my opinion.

Rare commodity here in Arizona also. I've only seen them once or twice in the 16 years we've lived here.

my costco has choice boneless short ribs in cryo for like $6.80 a pound and Prime bone in short ribs in cryo for $4.99 a pound. they rock on the smoker. I cook em just like a brisket.

Back