Beef Jerky From Pre Cooked Beef???

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Beef Jerky using cooked roast beef - are you kidding? Nope. I didn't know if it would work but I tried it and it did. On Friday I Cooked a 4 lb. Eye of Round roast in the Sous Vide planning to have some for dinner, slice up the rest, freeze it, and have roast beef sandwiches for months. Wife liked the moist tender dinner but wasn't interested in it for sandwiches. She didn't say it but I know that means "it's not Boars Head" so I got the idea to convert most of the remainder into Jerky. I marinated it in my Frank's Red Hot marinade for 20 hours and put it on the Smokefire. 2.5 hours of smokeboost and a brief pasteurizing run at 200 and it was done. I had sliced it thinner than I slice Jerky so it dehydrated quickly. It worked and the garlic in the inject when I cooked it initially really enhanced the flavor of the Jerky.
Today Smokeboost worked like a champ. I started at 200 and then dropped it into smokeboost. It settled at about 130 on the Inkbird ambient probe. After 45 minutes I ran the temp up to 200 to kill any remaining germs and re-activated smokeboost and it settled down to the 150s until I shut it down. I'll get this graphing thing better but I took the screenshot just as it had settled in after the 200° excursion. I never know from one day to the next how my EX6 will behave but today was a glimpse of what will be - - someday..Jerky 3-8-21 2.JPGScreenshot_Jerky cook 3-8-21.png

Whenever I see one of your threads I know enough to know to check it out, regardless of this title, lol. What an interesting and skillful jerky-making process!

Back