Beef Chuck

Mike Freel

TVWBB Pro
I am going to smoke a beef chuck roast tomorrow and would appreciate some tips. I have experience smoking ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, turkey, and chicken but never a chuck roast.
I plan to pull it for sandwiches and am looking for ideas on prep, rub, etc.

Mike

For pulled beef I prefer to use foil. I would salt the meat and then use a dry rub (something fairly assertive for my liking.....). Toss the chuck on while the smoker is coming to temp. I would bring it up to around 300 degrees or so (+ or - it will still be fine). I would foil when the internal of the roast came to around 155-160 and cook until really tender. After a good rest pull it apart and you'll have some nice sandwiches.

For the rub I really like the coffee and cocoa rub Kevin has on here, it is wicked on beef.

Clark

Howdy hi Mike,

Clark is right on with the way I like to smoke chuck roast. The one exception I make is to let the beef flavor shine through. I usually only sprinkle somewhat lightly with salt, then, pepper and granulated garlic. I grew up eating a lot of beef as we raised our own cattle or purchased sides of beef from friends or neighbors. I'm not against a good rub and sometimes use one, but prefer, myself, just light sprinkles of the salt, pepper and granulated garlic.

Either way, you should have some wonderful pulled beef! Just remember to let it cook 'til tender by probe.

I typically use a "touch" of mesquite along with some other smoke wood(s).

###

Thanks guys. The beef is on and looking good. I used some of the same rub I use on pork butt. I plan to foil at about 160 and then let it cook away. I hope to have some good photos as well as good BBQ beef.

mike

Chuck roast is great when smoked, and is not a difficult piece of meat to cook. My only addition to the above suggestions is catch the drippings in a foil pan. I have even smoked the meat sitting initially in a foil pan to collect the juices until I foil wrap the meat when getting closer to done. Makes some great au jus, gravy, etc.

Gettin hungry now ...

Back