Beef Chili with Brisket

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We've been having chilly evenings and mornings and Chili sounded really good. I picked up a 3 lb. chunk of brisket at the store a few days ago. It was mostly flat meat and wasn't quite as fatty as I was hoping, but it worked fine. Here's the pictures.

Cubed the meat and then ran it through the food processor for the grind.

DSC_4675 (Large).JPG

DSC_4680 (Large).JPG

Here's most of the ingredients. In addition to the obvious items, beans and brisket, there is a half pound of smoked beef sausage, Cattleman's Mexicano rub, cumin, diced yellow onion, diced Poblano, Jalapeno's with seeds, minced garlic, peeled tomatoes, 1/4 cup of chipotle's in adobo, beef broth and beer.
DSC_4686 (Large).JPG

Got the meat and sausage over some direct heat.

DSC_4687 (Large).JPG

Got the meat browned up.
DSC_4692 (Large).JPG

Added the onion, Poblanos and jalapenos. Let them get softened up for 3 or 4 minutes.

DSC_4694 (Large).JPG

DSC_4696 (Large).JPG

Threw in the garlic for around a minute. Wish you all could smell this.

DSC_4701 (Large).JPG

Added the kidney beans, tomatoes and chipoltes in adobo.

DSC_4703 (Large).JPG

Added the beer and the broth. Let return to a simmer. Then changed charcoal configuratior an hour.on to an indirect cook and let roll for an hour.

DSC_4706 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Dayumm .......... and wow !! What else can be said, that's just pure goodness.

Do you like the Cattleman's Grill rubs ? I bought three of them this week, just to see what I think about em.

Funny how fast it went from flip flops weather to chili weather!! :) That's a great looking pot of chili, Cliff. Interesting addition of some cubed sausage.... Bread looks great, as usual!

Rich

Terrific looking chili and bread.

Bread making season is back upon us. I reactivated my sourdough starter a couple days ago. Rainy day off today and I'm making some rosemary focaccia.

Thank you all for your great comments. Greatly appreciated!
Do you like the Cattleman's Grill rubs ?
I've really enjoyed them Lynn. My favorite out of the bunch is the Tri Tip rub. I love the texture, very coarse rub, and flavors. I've also enjoyed the 8 Second Ride, Steakhouse and Mexicano. I also have the Italiano and Tuscan but have not tried them yet.
Bread making season is back upon us. I reactivated my sourdough starter a couple days ago. Rainy day off today and I'm making some rosemary focaccia.
I believe I remember you making the focaccia a while back and it looked terrific. I'm meaning to fix that soon. I've been baking sourdough and/or baguettes every day now for over three months. We're eating a lot of it and giving some away but sadly I've thrown away a bunch to keep up the daily routine. It's not that costly and I consider it "practice". It's really helped me become more proficient at the craft and has been a great way to spend the idle hours caused by the heat, smoke, fires and of course the isolation. Anyway, be sure and post your pictures.

That's good to hear, I just bought the 8 Second Ride, the Steakhouse, and the Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak rub. I felt like I was taking a chance, but maybe not.

Wow, that's some great looking chili and that list of ingredients is impressive. I really want to make some bread now that it's too cold outside to do much for me. But Barb is in her seasonal baking for the holidays so I'm pretty much banned from the kitchen for awhile.

Back