Beef Brisket with Thermoworks Billows

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
Good Day All, hope everyone is healthy.

I scheduled a full packer brisket smoke for last weekend since my butcher was going on holidays for two weeks. On a side note my butcher has been unbelievable during COVID19 doing what they can to help all their customers. Judging from our conversations and their Facebook posts it has not been easy. They have been in the shop till 3am some days trying to fill all the orders. If anyone is in the Edmonton, AB area Real Deal Meats is the place to go.

Back to the brisket, I loosely followed Aaron Franklins method from his book. I trimmed all the discolored edges, the decel and any thick fat that would not render. Next was a liberal coating of kosher salt and 16 mesh black pepper.
IMG_20200529_230513.jpg
IMG_20200529_232736.jpg

I got my 18.5 WSM set up using the minion method, attached the billows and let it come up to temp. The recipe recommended 275 for a smoker temp. Since the billows had a +- 25 degrees range I set it to 250, so I could stay between 225 and 275. Once at temp the brisket went on and I curled up on the couch at 12:30 am. The billows did a good job at maintains the temp. My only complaint is that the temp would get up to 250 and stay for about 3 hours and then start to drop. Once it hits 225 the alarm goes off and sometimes I can turn it off with my phone and other times I had to go out and press a button. This became annoying when the temp fluctuates around 225 and I am up and down turning the alarm off.

The brisket temp hit 150, then dropped to 140 and them climbed to 160 after 12.5 hours. At that point I pulled it wrapped it in 2 layers of butcher paper and back on. I checked 3 hours later and it wasn't as soft and flexible as I was looking for so I left it for another hour. I pulled it off to rest around 5:00pm and let it rest for an hour.
IMG_20200530_180041.jpg
IMG_20200530_180140.jpg

The end result was juicy and tender. I think it could have used more rest time. Once it was cut the juices ran out and it did no retain much moisture after time Next time I will start a couple of hours earlier so that I get a few more hours of rest. I was happy with the overall smoke and there was no panick this time when the stall happened.

That looks great, but I can see the juices under the meat on the cutting board. There is always room for improvement, but I hope you fully enjoyed this one!

That looks great, but I can see the juices under the meat on the cutting board. There is always room for improvement, but I hope you fully enjoyed this one!

The meal was great. Baked beans, pasta salad, and broccoli salad as well as good friends. I will try a few more brisket while the weather is nice.

Chris, the brisket looks awesome! I still haven't used pink paper, and, one of the things I like about foil is that I get some retained juices that I can pour over the sliced brisket on a platter, or serve on the side "au jus" style.

I think you are right, though, a bit longer rest and at least some of that should have been retained a bit better.

Looks fantastic from here, though!

R

Chris - That's a nice looking brisket! I just bought the SmokeX4 and Billows for my 22" WSM, and I'm anxious to try it out. Were you running low on fuel when it dropped down or did you just need to stir the fire a bit? If you're going to do a lot of long cooks, you may want to look for a bigger charcoal ring. I'm leaning towards doing a smoked turkey breast, this weekend but it'll depend on who signs up to have dinner.

Chris, the brisket looks awesome! I still haven't used pink paper, and, one of the things I like about foil is that I get some retained juices that I can pour over the sliced brisket on a platter, or serve on the side "au jus" style.

I think you are right, though, a bit longer rest and at least some of that should have been retained a bit better.

Looks fantastic from here, though!

R

I have done foil before as well and then used to drippings in place of beef stock in chili the next day. I was delicious. I always seem to run into a time crunch with dinner and the resting gets sacrificed.

Second time using butcher paper work out well. Key was to make sure the brisket hit 160.

Chris - That's a nice looking brisket! I just bought the SmokeX4 and Billows for my 22" WSM, and I'm anxious to try it out. Were you running low on fuel when it dropped down or did you just need to stir the fire a bit? If you're going to do a lot of long cooks, you may want to look for a bigger charcoal ring. I'm leaning towards doing a smoked turkey breast, this weekend but it'll depend on who signs up to have dinner.

The first 2 times there was a dip in temp there was still plenty of fuel. Around 12 hours and another dip I threw in a couple handfuls of charcoal and again when I took it off to wrap. Next long cook I am going to do a little more examination to see if there is a root cause I didn't notice. At 3am I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Back