BBQing Soundtrack - what do you play?

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
When I bbq, I like to have a 'soundtrack' going to set the mood.

Got my WSM setup for some baby backs, and thinking this time it'll be some blues.

Anyone else got a music soundtrack that's your fav for bbqing?

Really depends on my mood and atmosphere at the time. It could be almost anything I like, and I like a wide range of music. Often I'll go online and find a playlist someone has made of a specific genre and use that. I suppose that's the non answer to a question.

Really depends on my mood and atmosphere at the time. It could be almost anything I like, and I like a wide range of music. Often I'll go online and find a playlist someone has made of a specific genre and use that. I suppose that's the non answer to a question.
BBQ for me kind of sets a mood, so I typically either go blues, country, country rock, or southern rock.

Not sure if Wagner would be a good 'fit' for bbq music. :unsure:;)

BBQ for me kind of sets a mood, so I typically either go blues, country, country rock, or southern rock.

Not sure if Wagner would be a good 'fit' for bbq music. :unsure:;)
Those are almost all things I would have playing. Almost because you could swap blues for classic rock in my case. Never been a big blues fan I guess. Same for disco. Guess I'm just not "staying alive. However I have been known to, "drink alone, all by myself, with nobody else. Often by the BBQ.

I think it would be easier to list what wouldn't be playing.

Most forums I belong to frown on "necro posting", so a 7 yr old thread??

And, I don't have links to the music - I just thought I'd share what music I've got playing.

Just thought it would be a different way to share....whatever.

Just thought it would be a different way to share....whatever.
"Whatever" makes you sound pissed. Hope you're not, that wasn't my intention. I only mention those links in case you want to see what members have suggested as their favorite BBQ music in the past. No expectation that you should be posting anything in either of them. :)

Lately, this is what I start with, I made a playlist of these Top 10 Kenny Wayne Shepard songs

Blues Rock Review Top 10 KWS songs

And then I put the Allman Brothers 50th Anniversay 5 CD box set on shuffle

But I'm liable to change at any moment, last few months I've been heavy into Steely Dan.

I have a BBQ playlist on my phone:

Al Green, Greatest Hits
Alligator Records 40th Anniversary Collection
Ray Charles, Anthology
Aretha Franklin, Aretha's Best
Buddy Guy, Buddy's Baddest
Buena Vista Social Club
Buena Vista Social Club, Live at Carnegie Hall
Buena Vista Social Club, Presents Omara Portuondo
Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets, Change in My Pocket
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Couldn't Stand the Weather
Crosby, Stills & Nash
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes
The Allman Brothers Band, A Decade of Hits 69-79
Stevie Wonder, The Definitive Collection
Shemekia Copeland, Deluxe Edition
B.B. King, Deuces Wild
Janiva Magness, Do I move You
Earth Wind & Fire, Greatest Hits
The Black Keys, El Camino
Etta James, Her Best
Marvin Gaye, Every Great Motown
The Plimsouls, Everywhere at Once
Wilson Pickett, Greatest Hits

I think that's about half of it, and you stopped reading a long time ago. I just hit shuffle and go. It's also good for other things.

I have a 70's playlist that has everything from country to Motown to early heavy metal to Bob Marley to easy 70's gold with LOTS of classic rock!
When everyone is gathered, I either throw on my party playlist (about 700 songs from the 50's to newer stuff, minus the hard rock/metal) or my 60's, 70's and 80's playlist that's more like what you'd hear on the radio without all the irritating commercials!

Listen to a nostalgia radio station when getting my Q running, nice sitting on the patio with a bottle of Modelo and Frank, Tony and Percy Faith playing out my patio speakers.

Lately I've been playing "Kenny Rodgers radio" on Pandora. They have a pretty good mix of classic country artists from the 70's.
Normally I'm absolutely not a country music listener, but these songs are what my parents listened to when I was a kid. Great memories & it kinda makes me feel young again!

I lean towards Tony Rice, John Prine, Bonnie Raitt, Texas Tornadoes, Tony Bennett, Traveling Wilburys, Bill Monroe, John Hurt, Del McCoury, George Harrison.
I suppose that says “lots of music” been shuffling my pandora feed a lot, so things don’t get dol.

I'll be smoking some treats for Christmas gifts this weekend, so maybe I'll put on some Fleetwood Mac and
raise a Silver Bullet to the memory of Christine McVie.

"Back in the day" I wore out an album AND a cassette of "Rumours". LOL I still have to crank up the volume any time I hear The Chain. 😁

Edit - now that I think about it, I believe that was an 8-track, not a cassette. 🤨

Last edited:

Back