BBQ Food Trucks

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Was curious if anyone else has noticed BBQ food trucks popping up in their area of the country.

Here's a link to one in my area.
http://www.artisanbbqtruck.com

I've yet to go by, but I have heard it is good.

They don't seem to serve straight up BBQ, but only different types of sandwiches, which strikes me as odd.

anyways, i guess my main question is how do these food trucks prepare the meat. Is it possible to have a charcoal/wood smoker inside a food truck? Seems like a potential safety risk with a gasoline powered vehicle. Also, seems like it'd be difficult to have an exhaust vent coming out the top to keep from getting carbon monoxide poisoning.

They've become pretty popular here in the Twin cities, and I have noticed that they regular style restaraunt kitchen exhaust systems which you would find in a restaurant, just alot shorter, as for the bbq and getting it prepared Im not sure.

Unless the truck tows a smoker my guess is that the barbecue is prepared somewhere else and then loaded into the truck, especially if it's cooked with charcoal and wood. And for any kind of volume a gas-fired smoker would probably take up too much room.

Unless the truck tows a smoker my guess is that the barbecue is prepared somewhere else and then loaded into the truck, especially if it's cooked with charcoal and wood. And for any kind of volume a gas-fired smoker would probably take up too much room.

Hmm, but don't they have to have a health-inspected commercial kitchen to prepare food? I thought that was one of the biggest obstacles to getting into BBQ catering. I have no idea how expensive it would be, but seems like it would be.

Back