Bacon!!! Finished product w/ linked pictures!

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
Thank you all for the tips on bacon flavors.....

Bacon Flavor Thread

Here is my finished product... all that I need to add is the fried up product, but that won't be on till after the weekend.

I went with a Maple Cured, Garlic and Pepper Cured, and Molasses and Pepper cured.

Each flavor turned out well, but the best seems to be the Garlic followed by the Maple.

Enjoy and thanks for the interest in my bacon making! BACON!!!! Pics are in.

Thanks,
Josh

Josh,

Thanks for sharing your process and results. I am encouraged to try making bacon based on your good looking varieties.

Jim

Well.... Two out of three ain't bad. The maple cured, and garlic and pepper cured was VERY good after the fry, but the molasses got the toss
icon_frown.gif

Oh well, I put the molasses on the smallest and least desirable peice so not too much lost.

Josh

Josh,

Thanks for the photos!
For the maple cured and the garlic/pepper - did you follow the recipe in Charcuterie on pages 41-43?

What wood did you use for smoking? Have you fried it?

Now if I can find pork bellies around here. Stop the press! I just called my local butcher and ordered a fresh pork belly. $2.17/lb. Might be around 9 pounds.

Richard

Richard,

I pretty much followed the recipe from those pages excpept I used Morton tenderquick instead of his cure recipe. The only other change I used was I slipped a little honey and brown suger in with the maple syrup.

I used applewood to smoke all the peices.

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!

Josh

Josh,

Bacon looks great! Out of curiosity, I noticed that you cutting board has legs. Do you get any flex because of this?

Thanks

Two things... first off my parents accepting my gift of bacon and fried up the molasses and pepper bacon and loved it. Who knew? I guess its not as bad I thought it was.

Seconldy... Ron... I've never noticed any flex in my cutting board and really like it. Got it at Sam's Club a few months back.

Back