Back to the Grill Brats

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Haven't done a cook for several weeks now due to the horrible fire conditions here on the west coast. We just got through our second safety power outage in one week. I decided to stick my toe in the water and do a simple, easy little cook. I grilled up some brats and finished them off in a beer bath along with some peppers. I screwed up a bit with my charcoal management. I always use chimney starters and spread the coals out to my liking, but didn't feel right with the spark shower from the chimney to the grill grate and then knocking the coals around to my liking. Used my Weber charcoal baskets and simply lit them with the propane assist on my performer. Too much charcoal, too much heat. Anyway, they tasted great. Sided them up with a little potato salad.

The basic stuff. Pretty much what we had in the house and fridge.

DSC_4528 (Large).JPG

DSC_4531 (Large).JPG

DSC_4534 (Large).JPG

DSC_4537 (Large).JPG

DSC_4545 (Large).JPGDSC_4546 (Large).JPG
DSC_4540 (Large).JPG

DSC_4550 (Large).JPG

These brats were best I've ever had. Nothing fancy, just Original Johnsonville Brats and a good old Weber recipe. Tasted so good after 29 hours without power and a nail biting sustained wind of 30 mph and higher with 8-9 percent humidity. There were four fires around us, three of which they suspect as arson, but Cal Fire and others, including helicopter and fixed wing bombers were able to get the fires in check and under a thousand acres. Damn, I wish we'd get some rain. Thanks for looking everyone.

Last edited:
Looks tasty!
We are lucky to not have the power cut offs here when it’s fire season. Guess it’s good to be on the Rast side of the Cascades along the fringe of the desert.

Haven't done a cook for several weeks now due to the horrible fire conditions here on the west coast. We just got through our second safety power outage in one week. I decided to stick my toe in the water and do a simple, easy little cook. I grilled up some brats and finished them off in a beer bath along with some peppers. I screwed up a bit with my charcoal management. I always use chimney starters and spread the coals out to my liking, but didn't feel right with the spark shower from the chimney to the grill grate and then knocking the coals around to my liking. Used my Weber charcoal baskets and simply lit them with the propane assist on my performer. Too much charcoal, too much heat. Anyway, they tasted great. Sided them up with a little potato salad.

The basic stuff. Pretty much what we had in the house and fridge.

View attachment 16907

View attachment 16908

View attachment 16909

View attachment 16910

View attachment 16912View attachment 16913
View attachment 16911

View attachment 16914

These brats were best I've ever had. Nothing fancy, just Original Johnsonville Brats and a good old Weber recipe. Tasted so good after 29 hours without power and a nail biting sustained wind of 30 mph and higher with 8-9 percent humidity. There were four fires around us, three of which they suspect as arson, but Cal Fire and others, including helicopter and fixed wing bombers were able to get the fires in check and under a thousand acres. Damn, I wish we'd get some rain. Thanks for looking everyone.
Hang in there Cliff - I'm glad you got to enjoy and outdoor cook!

Hey, Cliff, glad you got the grill fired up! You guys have not had a break, and I really hope that they prosecute any arsonists to the fullest extent!! Apparently, you and I were on similar wavelengths......I got some tube steaks on the grill today, too! :)

IMG_7328.jpeg

That's one of our favorite cooks, simple but great. We haven't been able to use charcoal since May and no rain in site.
Although we aren't as bad off as you guys in California, we are always looking to the sky for smoke. Mostly tinder dry grass lands around us very uneasy feeling. There is a 20,000 acre cattle ranch about 200 yards from us that is all dry grass and rumor has it they have moved all the cattle off of it. Wonder what they know and we don't.
Hope all goes well for you guys hang in there.

those are some tasty looking brats - we heard about the rolling blackouts -we have several customers in Northern Cal, and everyone just shut down - its been quite a year... but a good brat and brewski helps put everything in perspective :)

Back