Arkansas > Hot Springs: Whole Hog BBQ

Matt B.

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife and I ate here. We both had BBQ sandwiches.

It was tasteless, dry, and lacked any bark, but their "#5 Sauce" (I think it was #5, anyway) was outstanding and the savior of the meal. It was a spicier version of their "original" sauce. Unlike some Q joints that have just added some hot pepper sauce to their mild variety to make it spicy, these guys really must have spent some time getting this stuff together. The sandwiches came with coleslaw on them, too, but it was just your generic coleslaw. Nothing special at all.

They won the Jack Daniels Invitational some years ago for pork. As we were leaving my wife said, "Jack Daniels needs to call you." I was proud.

It's probably the best barbecue for sale for fifty miles, but that's not really saying a lot. Still, I'd like to know how they make that sauce. I believe it would be good on just about anything.

They had a location here in Memphis on Germantown road for all of two months or so. It did not fare well.

The Whole Hog in Hot Springs and Memphis were franchises. The original (and team that was the championship team) is located on Cantrell Road in Little Rock.

Sadly the franchise in Hot Springs has folded up. While they were inconsistant they could be a good BBQ joint when they did things right. IOW-Still learning. They faced stuff competition from a couple of old favorite joints that I don't appreciate as much as others do. I'll miss them.

BTW, The original in L.R. is still alive and well. Try them if your ever in the area.

Back