Are the problems with the SmokeFire fixed?

Matt Rector

TVWBB Pro
I've been looking at these since they came out, but it seems there were a lot of problems with them. I believe they were recalled from the dealers at one point. Are they fixed now?

The Gen 2 smokefire I think just has all the parts they fixed for the gen 1 preinstalled like the one piece auger assembly.

Short answer is no. The Gen 2 has the mechanical parts already installed that they sent to owners to fix their Gen 1. Mechanical changes were changing the auger chute and auger assembly and an insert for the hopper to increase the floor angle. I used the insert for awhile and then pulled it out because it didn't improve pellet feed. Putting something slick on the pellet hopper floor solves pellet feed problems if the finger guard is removed from the pellet chute. The software steadily got better until the Dec 19 update and that messed up temp control for lots of folks. The software fix is overdue. I am delighted with my Smokefire despite the ups and downs. It is not yet the "set and forget" pellet grill that people expect but I expected problems and it has challenged me at times. If you're not ready for a few glitches then it's not ready for you.

If you're willing to pay a little more and go 100% American made you might look at Smokin Brothers. It's a family owned business in Missouri and they have a 24", 30", and 36" grills. It's worth a look for a pellet smoker. The 30" intrigued me.

If you're willing to pay a little more and go 100% American made you might look at Smokin Brothers. It's a family owned business in Missouri and they have a 24", 30", and 36" grills. It's worth a look for a pellet smoker. The 30" intrigued me.
I have had my smokin brothers 30 for about eight months. I use it on average three times a week. It has not given me a single issue as of yet. If your budget permits, I would strongly recommend it.

Depending on how important American made is to you or not, CampChef provides a pretty good bang for the buck. Especially if you a looking for an all in one solution. One of their Slide N Grill models (WoodWind WiFi or similar) with a SideKick or SearBox can cook about anything pretty well. I'm not really a fan of the Slide N Grill feature, but those models have a taller chamber with a lot more usable upper shelf space. They also have some other nice features like the Kick Ash system for emptying the burn pot.

If you want American, the SmokinBrothers already mentioned as well as MAK, Yoder, Blaz'N, and CookShack are probably the best known options but are a good step up in pricing generally.

..., CampChef provides a pretty good bang for the buck. Especially if you a looking for an all in one solution. One of their Slide N Grill models (WoodWind WiFi or similar) with a SideKick or SearBox can cook about anything pretty well. I'm not really a fan of the Slide N Grill feature, but those models have a taller chamber with a lot more usable upper shelf space. They also have some other nice features like the Kick Ash system for emptying the burn pot.
I had a 6 year old Camp Chef DLX that I put a Rec Tec wifi controller in. That straight back wall of the cooking chamber really increases the headroom in there and I could stack several Jerky racks in there. I didn't have the slide n grill but I suspect that with GrillGrates might have a good sear station. Without it the GrillGrates gave reasonable but not great sear. Their new controllers seem to be excellent. Of course, I loved the little Rec Tec I had.

I have a basic 24 Camp Chef with the slide and grill. I didn't want Wi-Fi or any apps to deal with. I monitor my with my Smoke remote thermometer. I've had it for a little over a year and it's been faultless so far. Cooks very well and holds temps very well also. As stated above for a 24 it has acres of room. It was less than 1/2 the price of the Weber 24.

Thanks for the insight guys, I think I'll look at other brands.
I disagree. I believe the Smokefire is worth your interest Matt. Granted I'm a new owner, but I Received , Assembled and cooked ( Burgers & Ribs) on mine today. It was Absolutely set and forget on a 4.5 hours Rib cook. I think it's a solid Pit. I set it and left and went to the local Appliance store to buy them out of BOGO Weber pellets. I've now got 9 bags in the garage and the remainder of a 20lb sack in the Hopper. I'm a Weber fan and I believe the kinks are worked out

Back