Arctic Pig 2013, dizzy ribs

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I don’t know if any of you remember last year’s thread about the Arctic pigs, but this year I did not want to wait at the meat counter at the store, so I bought one. Or, more precisely, a half one. I wonder if it was this cutie.

Fjellgris_zps75070129.jpg

Thanks to Ondřej Ryjáček for «lending» me the picture.. (Reading this and Do Not Like, Ondřej? Contact me, and I will remove the great pic)
Want to read more about the Arctic pigs? Look here:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?36288-Mountain-pig-the-Arctic-way&highlight=arctic+pig
Now, after visiting the farmer in Valdres, where I happen to own a cabin where I stayed over night, picking junipher for smoke wood, and then cutting the pig into suitable pieces after returned to my home, I wanted to copy last year’s success by grilling a rib piece on the rotisserie. Goes sort of like this.

DSC_0992_zpsd9a639a3.jpg

A very simple cook, rubbed on some California peppers, (once again, thank you Mr. Lampe,) salt, and did my best to make the meat dizzy.
After a couple of hours at f400, it was finished. Simple as that.

Looks quite nice, I think.

DSC_0994_zps43a78365.jpg

This is not one of my best shots, but, hey, I was hungry! Served with cooked potatoes and a Norwegian unfermented version of sauerkraut. The meat was juicy, mild and not too “porky”. I do not regret buying half a pig.

DSC_0995_zps974973e0.jpg

Next thread in a few days, Arctic Pig hot smoked bacon.

And later, at last I've been able to get hold of a big pork shoulder. Pulled pork for the first time, after owning a WSM for several years. My first allnighter.

As always, thank you for your time.

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing...skin-on ribs?! If the skin came out crispy (it looks that way in the photos), this must have been an extraordinary pork experience.

Sir Geir, you know what shoe leather looks like?
You could cook that and i'd eet it...
Everything you grill looks absolutely amazing!!
And this ▼ is no exception!

DSC_0993_zps8e1fe5c5.jpg

I'll bet my second last dollar it tasted heavenly!!!

Looking forward to your butt cook... i'll be the one wearing bells!

taters, kraut and pork. all I can say is yes, yes and yes. wish I could have some.

Beautiful pig rib cook Geir!
Looks like you've figured out how to get the pork cuts you want.
I was going to ask about the skin too.

Now, a crispy rind is not so easy to accieve. Sometimes i manage to do it, and sometimes I fail. The Arctic pig did not fail me. The crunchy rind was eh, crunchy.. And very, very tasty!

Thank you for all your nice comments. You are all too kind.

Thanks Geir, now I want an Arctic Pig.... maybe my wife will get me one for Christmas. I wonder if the back yard is big enough....

Back