Apple Pie Shine

Brenda T

TVWBB Pro
I found this recipe about 8-9 years ago and have been using it ever since.

APPLE PIE MOONSHINE

½ gallon apple cider
½ gallon apple juice
4 cinnamon sticks
1 whole clove
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ Liter 190 proof grain alcohol (such as Everclear®)

Bring the apple cider, apple juice, cinnamon sticks, whole clove, white sugar, and brown sugar to a boil in a large pot, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Stir the grain alcohol into the cooled mixture. Pour into bottles and refrigerate.

Last edited:
This looks fun :)
The recipe says "1 whole clove" my question is; clove of what?

We've made a few of batches of this found just letting it sit in the refrigerator for a day or two makes for a much better flavor vs boiling. Put into pint jars makes a nice Christmas gift for friends and family.
Leaving the cinnamon sticks in the jars makes a nice presentation but made this very bitter after 3 weeks. The solution seems to be either consume it quicker or pull the sticks out after a week or so.

Caution:
This stuff goes down VERY easy and will bite you before you know it. o_O

I made 8 pints today + about an extra 1/3 pint for my first time, now aging in the pantry. We can only get 151 proof Everclear in Idaho and I didn’t feel like driving 45 minutes minimum each way into Oregon for the 191 proof. I’ll pick up a couple bottles next time I’m near the border.
Brenda, would you be willing to share Blackberry and Peach shine recipes, too?

I made 8 pints today + about an extra 1/3 pint for my first time, now aging in the pantry. We can only get 151 proof Everclear in Idaho and I didn’t feel like driving 45 minutes minimum each way into Oregon for the 191 proof. I’ll pick up a couple bottles next time I’m near the border.
Brenda, would you be willing to share Blackberry and Peach shine recipes, too?
For blackberry, use 1/2 gal blackberry juice, 1-3/4 cups white sugar,1 cup blackberries, 1 cup Blackberry Schnapps and 1 cup Everclear.

For peach, use 1/2 gal peach juice, 1-1/8 cups white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 can sliced peaches (14.5 oz), about 8 cinnamon sticks, 1 cup Peach Schnapps and 1 cup Everclear.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of making a "no-=boil" just because I'm lazy and why work harder, LOL

No-Boil Apple Pie Moonshine (Easy!)​

This No-Boil Apple Pie Moonshine is so easy! You'll love this moonshine with Everclear. Just stir five ingredients and let it sit overnight!

Prep Time10 mins
Total Time8 hrs 10 mins

Course: Drinks
Cuisine: American

Servings: 16

Calories: 176kcal

Author: Mamma C

Ingredients​

For 78-proof moonshine (very strong), makes nearly ½ gallon (see notes for diluted versions)​

• 750 millileters Everclear (151 proof grain alcohol)
  • 2 (12-ounce) cans frozen apple juice concentrate (or use up to 5 for a weaker potency; see notes)
  • 1-3 cinnamon sticks (plus more if making a weaker potency; see notes)
  • 1 cup spiced rum (Captain Morgan)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

Instructions​

• Place all the ingredients in a clean pitcher or bucket. Stir to combine. Let it sit overnight, covered, at room temperature.
  • The next day, transfer the moonshine to mason jars or bottles. Store them, closed tightly, in the refrigerator. The higher proof versions will stay good for a few years. The versions less than 64 proof should be consumed in 2-3 months.
  • If you want to drink this warm, do not heat the moonshine. It will burn off some of the alcohol, plus it could potentially be dangerous. Instead, heat some plain apple cider, then stir in an equal amount of apple pie moonshine off the heat.

Notes​

Here are the adjustments for less potent versions:64 Proof: Use 3 (12-ounce) cans frozen apple juice concentrate and add an extra ½ stick of cinnamon.55 Proof: Use 4 (12-ounce) cans frozen apple juice concentrate and 1 extra cinnamon stick.47.5 Proof: Use 5 (12-ounce) cans frozen apple juice concentrate and 1 ½ extra cinnamon sticks.42 Proof: Use 6 (12-ounce) cans frozen apple juice concentrate and 2 extra cinnamon sticks.38 Proof: Use 7 (12-ounce) cans frozen apple juice concentrate and 2 ½ extra cinnamon sticks. If serving people with various tolerance levels, you can add apple cider to individual servings to dial down the potency as needed.

Okay - I guess I made this sound too complicated and with TMI. :)
I'll see if I can simplify it later when I have time.

I found 100% peach nectar in the Hispanic aisle. Nothing, even in combination in the juice aisles of 2 stores and neither had any blackberry juice, even in combination with other juices so blackberry shine is on hold for now. The blackberry schnapps at our liquor store is 99 proof! Peach and more apple tomorrow. Thanks again for the recipes!

Back