Apologies to the Minion Method

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
I deviated, and now I am scrambling.

I am doing one 8# bone in butt. I fired up 20 briquets per the recommendations of the posted cooks by Chris.

I live in SD and today was warm (73*), but something in me said to add more to the chimney (added about 10), so I started hot at about 30 Kingsfords.

I loaded the charcoal ring as usual, poured the chimney on the unlit and wood at 7:30 pm.

2.5 hours later I have shut the bottom vents and I am at 283* at the grate, internal is at 155*.

It is now 11:20 and I am heading to bed, the cooler night temp (58*) will help - I hope.

In retrospect, I should have kept it at about 20 briquets as I have done in the past. I also had 1 very large piece of hickory that I put in as one piece, instead of breaking it into 2 pieces.

This is my 1st time following the Texas BBQ method:
* Rub with Worcestshire
* Grand Champion Rub

Here is a pic of the charcoal ring.
http://tinyurl.com/24lzmej

More updates and pics in the am.

Oh well - just thought I would share.

Smoke On.
~ Sean

11:45 - shutting the vents to only 1 open 50% dropped my grate to 228* and meat at 166*. Goodnight.

Sean - how did it turn out ?

I am going to be using the same rub in a week or so - ( just ordered some of the Grand Champion today - on Bryan S.'s recommendation )

Im also doing pork butts - Im going to try one with the Worc. Sauce and rub; my other butt I'm doing an injection on.

thanks
Michael

Hey Sean!
icon_smile.gif
The minion method doesn't dictate the ratio of lit/unlit, ... it mearly is a method of sustaining and controlling a charcoal heat source
icon_wink.gif
The ratio is dependent on your choice of heat sink, length of cook, desired temp, etc. As an example, I generally use lump charcoal, hot tap H2O heat sink, and cook in the low n slow 225* range, and I prefer the cooker comes to temp relatively fast ... sooo, I use a full lit chimney on top of 1 or 2 of unlit!
icon_rolleyes.gif
The fire fuels itself and I don't have to worry about temp overshoot
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Cheers!
icon_smile.gif

Sean, I bet the pork was good! Very forgiving that Butt. That is a lot of hot for me. As long as you close the vents down well before you reach your desired smoking temp should be ok.
Of course this advice is a bit late now that its a done deal.

Mark

Back