Anyone use a wok?

Looking to try a wok on my performer. I have the gourmet grate system so it has a hole in the middle. Seems like I could put the baskets under the hole and put the wok in the hole and get it nice and hot.

Robert, yes, that will work, and is essentially what I did in this post from a few years back.....

Hope that helps!

R

Do it all the time, works great!

i get a full chimney going, dump into the baskets placed in center of the grill. Remove the center section of GBS grate and rest the wok in the hole.
We do stir fry all the time, quick and easy....tastes great too.

We don't have a Weber wok, not even sure of the brand. Just get one that have the round bottom that will rest in the hole in the grate.

I turn my vortex upside down (wide side up) under the gourmet grate hole and fill it with the coals for my wok cooking. Gets real hot.

I also use a wok in combination with the vortex and the GBS grate. But I do not use a Weber wok. I have a cheap 18" round bottom blue steel wok. Much cheaper and larger than the Weber wok.

Do it all the time, works great!

i get a full chimney going, dump into the baskets placed in center of the grill. Remove the center section of GBS grate and rest the wok in the hole.
We do stir fry all the time, quick and easy....tastes great too.

We don't have a Weber wok, not even sure of the brand. Just get one that have the round bottom that will rest in the hole in the grate.
any idea what size you have?

+1 for the GBS grate/Vortex combo but I use a 22” discada plow disc with it. The handles rest on the edge of the kettle, works great

Hi Robert, we have this planned for dinner tonight if you are looking for ideas to use in your wok.

Pork and Black Pepper, Chowed

3/4 lb. boneless pork butt, fairly thinly sliced
2 TB. light soy sauce
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 TB. dry sherry
2 TB peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
pinch of salt
plenty of fresh ground black pepper
chopped fresh cilantro leaves
steamed rice for serving

1. Cut the sliced pork into bite size pieces and place in a small bowl with the light soy sauce, ginger and sherry. Marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a wok and add the oil, garlic and salt. Add the marinated pork and stir-fry for a few minutes until the pork is just cooked. Add plenty of black pepper to taste and toss about. Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice. Serves 4 to 6

Source: "The Frugal Gourmet Whole Family Cookbook" - Jeff Smith - 1992

I just fire up the kettle, pile the coals in a heap, and when it's white hot I just nestle a wok right down into the coals. It is hot and sweaty around that coal, but it's fast work to "chow" and the food is so good! (Be prepared for a LOT of prep work though!)

Hi Robert, we have this planned for dinner tonight if you are looking for ideas to use in your wok.

Pork and Black Pepper, Chowed

3/4 lb. boneless pork butt, fairly thinly sliced
2 TB. light soy sauce
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 TB. dry sherry
2 TB peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
pinch of salt
plenty of fresh ground black pepper
chopped fresh cilantro leaves
steamed rice for serving

1. Cut the sliced pork into bite size pieces and place in a small bowl with the light soy sauce, ginger and sherry. Marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a wok and add the oil, garlic and salt. Add the marinated pork and stir-fry for a few minutes until the pork is just cooked. Add plenty of black pepper to taste and toss about. Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice. Serves 4 to 6

Source: "The Frugal Gourmet Whole Family Cookbook" - Jeff Smith - 1992
sounds delish, thanks!

Back