Anyone getting a Stealth?

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Paul Warner got his EPX4 in April. Anyone else planning to get one? Just Curious. While I would really like to have the upgrades, I'm totally happy with my Gen 1 ** ;) EX6., I don't think I'll get the Stealth. I know not to say never when it comes to grills. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I would love to get a Stealth I think that is one of the nicest grills I've seen in a long time. But in all honesty, it has features I would never use.
Also, my little Camp Chef has been faultless. Just like our 2002 4runner with 215,000 miles on it and it runs and drives like new. Except for routine maintenance it's had zero issues.
Plus, I'd have to convince Barb and that ain't gonna happen.

When I look at the Canadian site, the 2 stealth models still show as coming soon. I’m in the market for the EPX4…if it ever becomes available. I may wait a bit longer to see what 2023 brings. We’ll see.

Paul Warner got his EPX4 in April. Anyone else planning to get one? Just Curious. While I would really like to have the upgrades, I'm totally happy with my Gen 1 EX6., I don't think I'll get the Stealth. I know not to say never when it comes to grills. :ROFLMAO:
You should at least add an “*” next to your claim of being a Gen 1 owner.lol
It’s not exactly a stock Gen 1. With updated parts, slick tape and software updates, it’s closer to a Gen 3 now.

You should at least add an “*” next to your claim of being a Gen 1 owner.lol
It’s not exactly a stock Gen 1. With updated parts, slick tape and software updates, it’s closer to a Gen 3 now.
OK Darian, I edited the post. :) I only have the updated Auger chute assembly in it but that alone was the significant difference in the Gen1 and Gen 2. I had to do the UHMW tape because I hadn't talked anyone into trying it before I received mine. That negated the need for the steeper pellet floor ramp. The biggie has been the software updates and every generation Smokefire gets those. Smoke on.

I did pre-order it and if you already have a current gen smokefire it's probably not worth upgrading. The upgrades are nice and I personally enjoy the black but I would probably skip if I already had one.

I did pre-order it and if you already have a current gen smokefire it's probably not worth upgrading. The upgrades are nice and I personally enjoy the black but I would probably skip if I already had one.
If that pellet hopper upgrade saves you one flameout then the upgrades become more than nice. Pellet bridging has been bugging owners since the grill was released in 2020 and I'm hoping Weber finally has a solution. Being able to trust it on an overnight cook is priceless. Congratulations on your purchase and have fun.

OK Darian, I edited the post. :) I only have the updated Auger chute assembly in it but that alone was the significant difference in the Gen1 and Gen 2. I had to do the UHMW tape because I hadn't talked anyone into trying it before I received mine. That negated the need for the steeper pellet floor ramp. The biggie has been the software updates and every generation Smokefire gets those. Smoke on.
I started with a Gen 2, I missed the auger issues and the even shallower feed ramp.
I will say, most of my issues have gone away with software updates.
My only real gripe now is still the pellet hopper not feeding well. Even with the Gen 2 ramp plate factory installed.
So if the Stealth model addresses these issues it’s a win.
But from what Bruno hinted to…I would also wait for the newer total revamp that I also think is coming.

I still want an EX4, although I did pick up a very unusual $140 2nd small pellet grill that I will post about soon. (Also missed a chance on a decent used Camp Chef similar to Rich’s for only $125😲.) The only way I will get tower clearance for another “keeper” grill is to sell a bunch of my project grills. My first one listed is languishing with not much interest. Not a promising start.

Assuming I can raise the funds, at this point I would want the stealth version which apparently we can’t get in the EX4. Then there is the question of whether/when Weber is going to do more than just the very mild makeover that the Stealth represents over the “regular” SmokeFire. I have to believe that if Weber wants to get back in the ring and have a retail presence with pellet grills, they will have to up their game and convince some big box stores and places like Ace to display their pellet grill. That will take a LOT of convincing.

Serious grillers like members here have put up and overcome issues to benefit from the SmokeFire’s positive performance aspects, but places like Lowes I think felt burned and that - with so many returns and bad publicity - the SmokeFire was a losing proposition. Proof of that is the way Lowes has exercised away any trace of the SmokeFire from their floor and shelves, selling off the accessories and even pellets at large discounts to make room for other brands.

I will be very interested to see what the next year brings. And for any Weber company people that might be reading this: “C’mon, bring out a Weber pellet kettle that one ups the Recteq Bullseye!”

I will not be. Completely happy with my Gen2, fresh off of losing the fire two times in one cook.

I find the black and stainless/chrome to be extremely appealing, it’s already the best looking pellet on the market (arguably). I believe Stealth is still shipping with the chrome straps on the lid, which defeats a stealth look.

Now if and when Weber really does a make over, I’ll have to seriously look at it. I’ve come to find any issues with mine are relatively small, and the ribs that I started using 3-2-1 and turned into about a 4-3-2 were fantastic the following day.

Can you even get a Stealth? Every time I've looked on the Weber site, they've been out of stock.

While I would really like a stealth, I was thinking about this today… Couldn’t you just buy a can or two of black plasti-dip, some painters tape and black out a Gen 2, whilst saving a few hundred bucks?

If the black parts gets scratched later on… reapply some plasti-dip. I did this a few years back on the chrome emblems on my Tacoma. Worked great.

If you do it carefully, I think your idea would definitely work.

While I like blackout trim on many vehicles, that isn’t the attraction of the stealth version to me. I understood - possibly incorrectly - that in addition to adding an inside light, the stealth edition features the latest beefed up components that Weber is now offering to reduce the early internal failures some have experienced. I was under the impression that this differed from the “regular” version that has the basic Gen 2 improvements in the auger and hopper but not the other internal parts improvements.

I actually think the stainless looks better. If you go with the stealth you probably will find yourself having to redo the trim in time, using your method.

If the EPX4 was available here, I’d consider selling my Genesis and getting one just for high temp cooks. Watching you guys for the past year, it seems Weber might have finally ironed out the software to a mostly stable condition. I still love my MAK more than a SmokeFire, especially for low and slow, However, I liked what the SmokeFire did at 500° plus not having to reconfigure the grill. Now I’m very anxious to see what Bruno has hinted at.

Back