Anyone find the new WSM probe rubber hole useless?

Seneviseth L

The current model of WSM has that ruber hole to insert the probes into. I have been unable to insert the probes from Thermoworks with ease, so I just go under the lid which I lose some thermal efficiency in it. I've considered going through the lid vent holes, but that would be a slight annoyance when tending to the meat.

Any way around it?

My newest WSM is ~4 years old and I don't keep-up with rev changes to know if there is a newer grommet. Without dimensions, this is what mine looks like (from a web pic):
1609282508727.png

I have some Thermoworks products but none that require probe-to-WSM access. But for my variety of probes that do require access to the WSM pit I am able to fit them through the grommet with minimal effort. I have enough probes that once I feed them through the grommets I keep them in place with little exception. My guess is they want it be somewhat tight for the very reason you site.

In case you find this helpful, here's a link to a probe slot mod: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-probe-thermometer-slot/

My newest WSM is ~4 years old and I don't keep-up with rev changes to know if there is a newer grommet. Without dimensions, this is what mine looks like (from a web pic):
View attachment 20237

I have some Thermoworks products but none that require probe-to-WSM access. But for my variety of probes that do require access to the WSM pit I am able to fit them through the grommet with minimal effort. I have enough probes that once I feed them through the grommets I keep them in place with little exception. My guess is they want it be somewhat tight for the very reason you site.

In case you find this helpful, here's a link to a probe slot mod: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cutting-probe-thermometer-slot/
Ah yes, mine is the same way as well. I've never used it this whole time because it has always been a PITA to me.

I found the probe grommet to be a real PITA. Like so many others I solved the problem with a peanut grinder and about 4 minutes of my time. Cut a notch in the top of the barrel to run my cables through. So much better.

Haven't used the grommet since I cut a notch.

I could see using the grommet some time if I wanted to monitor temps on the lower grate. But the notch is the better solution by far for the top rack.

The notch is so simple, and works so well, I'm surprised Webber doesn't just do it and get it over with.

I don't understand what the problems people are having with grommets are.
I can put my finger through the slot all the way up to my hand with mine.
Maybe they started making them out of different material Iduno.
I bought my WSM used. But I don't think it's more than 6 or 7 years old.
I have a Thermoworks Smoke,and a temp controller,and there have been times I have had 3 probes through the grommet.
Mine seems to work just fine

I don't understand what the problems people are having with grommets are.
I can put my finger through the slot all the way up to my hand with mine.
Maybe they started making them out of different material Iduno.
I bought my WSM used. But I don't think it's more than 6 or 7 years old.
I have a Thermoworks Smoke,and a temp controller,and there have been times I have had 3 probes through the grommet.
Mine seems to work just fine

I dont think its a problem, inasmuch as a hassle to feed probe thru grommet. Particulary if smoker is already hot. Cable end of some probes are about 3/8" and have a spring strain relief, it almost requires grabbing on inside and pulling thru.....and its under the top grate, so need to have top grate out to install probes.

Nothing is simpler and easier than slot on upper lip, especially for cooking on top grate

Last edited:
I found it pretty convenient to use the access point with my Thermo Pen for a quick temp reading. (I don’t have a thermometer with multiple probes yet.)

I am a BIG fan of simply cutting a slot. I learned that when I built my Mini, and after trying the grommet a time or two, I cut the slot in my 14.5", too. I also have the slot in my 18.5", too.

The only way to go, IMHO...
Keep on smokin',
Dale53 :wsm:

Any pics of the slot in the lid? Am considering it but hesitant to start cutting into my WSM. Anyone experience rusting issues with exposed metal? Any need to paint the cut?

Here's a video showing how to do it.

Highly recommended and very simple mod.

Last edited:
Here's a video showing how to do it.

Highly recommended and very simple mod.

Thanks both! I figured after I posted the response I shouldn't have been lazy andsearch TVWB! Just got a Dewalt anglegrinder for xmas so may give thos a go this weekend!

My WSM was a older one and did not have the grommet hole, so I had a friend help cut a hole for it and since then I've been using my Thermoworks devices all the time. Well except for smoking cheese or nuts :)

I have no issue with it at all. To each his own I personally wouldn't notch my smoker if it were already equipped with the grommet. I drilled my kettle for a grommet and use it all the time.

I've got the grommet but the slot is probably the better solution. If I didn't have the grommet, I'd cut the slot before trying the drill the hole. I've done the slot mod on my kettle and it works great.

The current model of WSM has that ruber hole to insert the probes into. I have been unable to insert the probes from Thermoworks with ease, so I just go under the lid which I lose some thermal efficiency in it. I've considered going through the lid vent holes, but that would be a slight annoyance when tending to the meat.

Any way around it?
This has been discussed many times in the past, basically the chicken & the egg, do a search. Cut a slot & be done.

Back