Anyone else experience violently exploding B&B Oak Lump Charcoal during startup?

Bryan S in OH

I recently purchased a few bags of B&B Oak Lump during the recent Ace Hardware sale. During my first use of it on my WSGC I used the snap-jet to start it. When I came back later I notice chunks of lump charcoal on and around the grill center, some probably 10 ft away. I thus closed the lid and opened the rapid fire damper to try to contain the exploding embers, however it seemed to have died down now that most of it had started. Again today I used it in a vortex and after it was lit and coming up to temp (lid closed, rapid fire damper open) I could hear massive explosions of lump inside. Based on the sound and violence of these explosions it has me questioning ever opening the lid during heat up without safety glasses for fear of injury. I'm wondering if this is an issue with B&B or the nature of lump when it is heating up rapidly, specifically for high temp cooking?

I opened a brand new bag of B & B Hickory Lump over Memorial Day weekend. I used a Weber starter cube under the chimney & I did not experience any of the problems that you incurred. I really liked how hot it got under the grill grates & it made it easy to grill the ribeye's!

I opened a brand new bag of B & B Hickory Lump over Memorial Day weekend. I used a Weber starter cube under the chimney & I did not experience any of the problems that you incurred. I really liked how hot it got under the grill grates & it made it easy to grill the ribeye's!
Thanks. I'm wondering if the quicker heat up causes the issue. Once they are all in full swing I don't have any issue. I do like how hot they get. In the vortex it generates a blazing inferno which is great for searing steak.

Is it possible that your charcoal got wet? There shouldn't be anything in normal charcoal that would pop like that, but I could see a steam explosion doing it. If you wanted to try an experiment, I'd try spreading a single layer on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at 250°F for at least four hours - that should be long enough to drive off any moisture, and if you can light them without the excitement after that, you've probably pegged the problem.

I haven't tried B&B but RO lump will snap , crackle and pop sometimes when I used the propane torch.
I wouldnt call it violent but I always wear my specs and don't get too close.
I just bought a performer with propane assist so I'll watch out.. Thanks'!
It might be from not fully carbonized pieces that still have some moisture.

Back