Another unrolled brisket

Gary London

TVWBB Super Fan
So tonight I am going to do an overnight cook.

Costco in UK don't do full packer briskets but they started doing a rolled flat at a reasonable price (for the U.K.).

6F1B57F9-97B5-4335-9FA8-6A2CC3EE8CF5_zpsfuhc166t.jpg

Doesn't need much trimming.

Set up the 22.5 WSM with Aussie Heat beads, using the OCD style that Tony has been successful with on his 14.5.

I definitely need a 14.5 to these single joint cooks. must be far more economical.

The beads stack 5 high to the top of the ring. Outer ring is 25 beads x 5, next one is 19 x 5, then 12 x 5, plus a handful more in the middle waiting for a few lit beads to start it off.

I reckon there is 12 kg of beads. Approx 300 with the lit ones.

E4A3ECB8-6DA2-489B-8CD8-2D6C7721BBA3_zpsdqpue4m8.jpg

I will chuck some apple and cherry wood chunks on.

Firing up in a couple of hours. Hoping for some stable temps early on so I can get some sleep.

To be continued.........

OCD for sure, that ring of charcoal almost looks too good to light. Looking forward to the finished product.

Nice set up. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. I have an 18.5 and a 14.5 mini and the mini uses way less fuel than even the 18.5 can't image how much less than a 22.5.

I only have the WSM22 but for a brisket, I don't care about fuel, only how good that brisket tastes. Enjoy that brisket.

Attention to detail with the Aussie Heat beads, how long did it take you?, and can't wait to see the finished result.

Attention to detail with the Aussie Heat beads, how long did it take you?, and can't wait to see the finished result.

Only 10-15 minutes to set it up.

Lit it 3 hours 20 mins ago. I put the brisket in 2 hours 40 mins ago at 216 temp after temp was slow to rise - a bit impatient of me but I knew the temp was still increasing slowly.
Temp went up slowly to 255f. Reduced all lower vents to a tiny crack then temp dropped slowly, currently 237f IT 162f
Opened up 1 vent to 1/4 as I want to stop the temp drop or slow it down further.
Seems to be holding at 237f for past 20mins I think so going to try to get some sleep.

Definitely putting ATC on the Christmas wishlist!

To be continued.....

Happy to say the temp stayed pretty stable for the next seven hours. I did mange to get some sleep. The Maverick 732 did it's job and even worked two stories up in the bedroom (haven't done that before).
Temps dropped very slowly so when I finally got up at 8.30 it was at 226f.

Came downstairs to find this visitor peering through the patio doors. Amazed the dog didn't react at all.

8C6C84E2-764F-4DA4-A465-496770A1B7ED_zps5gduc0ua.jpg

By the time he was gone the temp was down to 223f

Opened up for the first time. Shook the coals a bit. Looked at the pattern of the burn. Outer ring of beads intact on the left. Might have to knock the wall down!
Topped up the water - yes I can't get away from the security blanket water pan.

0ACA03CB-DEC8-4140-ADA4-CF522B5B3009_zpsqda9fjh7.jpg

Took a pic of the brisket. It's only a flat of around 4.5lbs so it will be interesting to see how much this little baby dries out. Not planning to foil this one as I have plenty of time. Fingers crossed.

09D37DC7-D1E4-4115-8372-D7A09D4E3396_zpscbvn7z5k.jpg

Waiting for the temp to get back up. 9.30am and it's 212f and rising slowly waiting for the water to heat up I think.

Edit: BTW our clocks went back an hour for daylight saving but my times are based on the uncorrected times to (hopefully) avoid confusion.

Last edited:
Looking good Gary.
The OCD Minion promotes a more even burn throughout the charcoal ring. It can be set up whilst the lit briqs are getting fired up.
You may want to think about getting a smaller charcoal ring, (14.5), for smaller/shorter cooks.

Looking good Gary.
The OCD Minion promotes a more even burn throughout the charcoal ring. It can be set up whilst the lit briqs are getting fired up.
You may want to think about getting a smaller charcoal ring, (14.5), for smaller/shorter cooks.

Good idea. That's got me thinking though about using two rings, 14.5 and 22.5 and running a fuse set up between them. Must have been tried before.

Yeah, a fuse set up between the two would be the ticket.
If you have trouble finding a 14.5 charcoal ring let me know. I have a spare in the Weber Accessory Dept., (shed). Gratis.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Bit of a problem. 12 hours in it got to 190f internal. Had to go out and leave it for 90 mins. Came back to 210f. :(
Took it off. Let it vent then in the cooler.
Another couple of hours before it gets sliced. Fingers firmly crossed.

210 is not the end of the world, I bet it comes out nice. It looked good as far as you got

OK, the stress is over the meal has been consumed. The brisket was the main event but I also cooked:

A load of three joint wings.
Padron peppers.
Asparagus wrapped in pancetta (again. but very well received)
Homemade coleslaw with White cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, onion and red pepper, thinly sliced. created a red wine vinegar and rapeseed oil dressing.
Twice cooked baked potatoes with cheddar, scallions and a dash of Stubbs original - very well received)
Some cheap supermarket pork BB ribs - I kept the WSM going after the Brisket came out and upped the temp a bit.

Nothing much new to photograph.

Kept the brisket on the cooler for 3 hours or so, wrapped in foil and a towel.
Felt a little too cool when I took it out but here it is....

D8940BA8-67AB-4041-8C3E-629C48CF5D14_zpsuji9ubxc.jpg

0AC0AF9B-A9A4-4E57-8AD9-9FF434C56A15_zps72f0spmi.jpg

Pretty good bark and a lipstick smoke ring. Texture was a bit dry but it turned out better than I thought after it went to 210f.
I enjoyed mine in a hunk of baguette and some Red's South Carolina Mustard (I hate English and French mustard but this is great)

Maybe foiling would have helped when it stalled. But certainly didn't help letting it go beyond 190f without closer monitoring.

The OCD Aussie Head beads set up worked very well and apart from 30 mins above 205f it kept to around an average of 235f. Leaky door makes it tricky to get lower.
I think I can easily get 18 hours of smoking from one grate of AHB's - that's 3-4 hours more than the Weber briqs but the AHBs are much more dense and compact so the cost is probably no different per hour.

Last edited:
What a great big cook you did. The brisket looks super!

Don't forget to take pix of the "others" next time.

Back