Another scarce item due to Covid-19

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
Yesterday, I was due to change the 20x30 air filters for our HVAC systems. I went to a nearby Lowes only to find almost all sizes and ratings of filters were not to be found. Only bare shelves. I came home and did a search only to find HD, Lowes, Walmart, and most Targets did not have any in stock. Fortunately, I found a Target that actually had 2 of them. Never ran into this issue before. I guess everyone is doing filter changes on their HVAC or heating systems due to the pandemic. Add these to Purell, and sanitizing wipes.

Good to know - never would have thought of that. FWIW, I started ordering from Amazon a few years back. I'm getting much better filters, and paying about half of what I was at the big box stores.

Mine takes 20x20 and I checked Lowe's store stock and they were out. I placed an on line order and was able to have them delivered to my front door from another store within a matter of days. I was impressed with Lowe's on line service.

Mines a 16x25 x1. I bought 2 of em last month, but noticed slim pickings.
I need to check Sam's Club and see if they offer a pack of filters.
I have a lectric UV filter and that helps, Used to have a washable filter but that eventually got torn.
I don't know about the rest of you but my AC is running 24/7 with this hot spell. Normally with dogs I go 3 months with a filter change.
But lately I'm thinking 2 months...

Tim

We replace them in our 2 units every 10 weeks and switch them after 5 weeks. In the summer the upstairs unit runs more and gets dirtier quicker. In the winter the downstairs system runs more for heat. After 10 weeks they are about the same level of dirty. I usually buy the filters in quantity to get the discount, but just plain ran out this time. I forgot to mention Sams & Costco didn't have them either. I did order more from Lowes with a 7-10 business day delivery time. I've got a feeling it may run even longer than that.

I order mine through filterbuy.com they get delivered to my front door and I don't have to run around hoping the hardware store has my size.(y)
I'll go you one better. I have a Honeywell electronic air filter on my furnace and all you have to do is rinse the filters off and put them back in. I haven't had to buy a furnace filter for almost twenty years.

I bought a dozen 20x20x1 for our beach house from HD online in May for $21 delivered. They are Rheem MERV-8. I change them every 2 months or so. Availability might be a regional issue.

this OP is 3 years old.
you'da thunk it'd be closer back to normal by now, to normal as normal could be.

I'd bought a case locally a couple of years ago, and just put the last one in. I have a Hobbes meter in my thermostat that triggers filter replacement indicators. Time to go looking for more.

Back