Another damper handle mod..

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Burned myself once or twice.. wasn't going to do it three times.

Didn't want to make a huge project out of but didn't care for the plain bolt-thru-the-handle look. Browsing the hardware isle and found some corks (labeled Test Tube Stoppers). I tried a cork version first, but didn't like it, so switched to the rubber stopper. Stainless bolt, washer and cap nut. Total cost was under $5 for four vents.
2020-07-28 WSM Vent Knob Mod 71.jpg

Used a center marking tool to find center top and bottom. I have a drill press which helped keep things straight, but easy enough to do with a hand drill. Rounded the edges top and bottom.
2020-07-28 WSM Vent Knob Mod 72.jpg

A few coats of Testers Gloss Black paint stick. Should have used flat black. :mad: It would have been a better match to the flat rubber.
2020-07-28 WSM Vent Knob Mod 74.jpg

Four ready to go..
2020-07-28 WSM Vent Knob Mod 75.jpg

Used a heavy duty hole punch to make the hole in the vent handle, but a drill works in a pinch.
2020-07-28 WSM Vent Knob Mod 79.jpg

Installed top and bottom. Skipped the washer on the top, which was only for aesthetics and skipped the lock washer on the bottom since pressure from the compressed rubber is enough to prevent the cap bolt from loosening. If I have a problem going forward a dab of thread lock should do it.
2020-07-28 WSM Vent Knob Mod 81.jpg
2020-07-28 WSM Vent Knob Mod 77.jpg

Back