Andouille

MattO_IN

Pretty new to sausage making but my FIL and I made up a batch of andouille last weekend. He mixed up the sausage a few days ahead with the recommended amount of pink cure. Smoked it for around 6 hours, increasing the temp incrementally over the course of the cook (started at 100 or so) until the internal temp reached 155. First time hanging them like this in my WSM, it ended up working out pretty good (IMO, anyway).
4.jpg3.jpg 2.jpg1.jpg

Pretty new to sausage making but my FIL and I made up a batch of andouille last weekend. He mixed up the sausage a few days ahead with the recommended amount of pink cure. Smoked it for around 6 hours, increasing the temp incrementally over the course of the cook (started at 100 or so) until the internal temp reached 155. First time hanging them like this in my WSM, it ended up working out pretty good (IMO, anyway).
View attachment 99902View attachment 99903 View attachment 99904View attachment 99905
Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Would you mind sharing the recipe?
no problem, my FIL mixed up the meat and stuffed it then brought it to my house to smoke it up. I believe he used a variation of this recipe, he may have added in some more spices to taste. He also increased the amount of meat in the recipe, I ended up with right around 21 lbs of sausage when finished.

Ingredients​

• 1000 g pork butt (2.2 lbs)
  • 13 g kosher salt (2 heaping tsp)
  • 2 1/2 g Cure #1 (1/2 tsp, level)
  • 10 g garlic (3 cloves, pressed)
  • 5 g black pepper (2 1/2 tsp, cracked)
  • 4 g cayenne pepper (2 tsp)
  • 100 g cold water (1/4 cup)

Instructions​

• Cut lean pieces of meat into 1" to 2" pieces and tenderize them in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for 3-4 minutes. If you don't have a stand mixer, grind them through a stuffing plate or 1/2" (12 mm) - 3/4" (18 mm) plate.
  • Grind the fattier pieces through a 1/4″ (6 mm) plate.
  • In a large bowl, mix the meat with the rest of the ingredients, including the water.
  • Stuff into 38 - 40 mm beef or hog casings. Tie to make 12” links.
  • Cure in the fridge for 12 - 24 hours.
  • Dry for 2-4 hours at room temperature then hold for 30-60 minutes in a pre-heated smoker at 130F without smoke.
  • Smoke over pecan wood at around 140F for about 8 hours until you obtain a nice rich mahogany color.
  • Cook Andouille in the smoker at 170F - 195F until the internal temperature reaches 154F-158F. This should take about 30-40 minutes. Add a pan with boiling hot water to expedite the process.
  • Chill quickly by placing on a cold marble slab or a similar cold surface.
  • Refrigerate after cooling down. Keep wrapped in butcher's paper for best results.

Notes​

You may also poach Andouille after smoking in water at 170F-175F until the internal temperature reaches 154F - 158F, about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can steam or bake in the oven. Another option is to refrigerate it as is and cook as part of a dish, like gumbo.

Last edited:
no problem, my FIL mixed up the meat and stuffed it then brought it to my house to smoke it up. I believe he used a variation of this recipe, he may have added in some more spices to taste. He also increased the amount of meat in the recipe, I ended up with right around 21 lbs of sausage when finished.

Ingredients​

Instructions​

• Cut lean pieces of meat into 1" to 2" pieces and tenderize them in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for 3-4 minutes. If you don't have a stand mixer, grind them through a stuffing plate or 1/2" (12 mm) - 3/4" (18 mm) plate.
  • In a large bowl, mix the meat with the rest of the ingredients, including the water.
  • Dry for 2-4 hours at room temperature then hold for 30-60 minutes in a pre-heated smoker at 130F without smoke.
  • Smoke over pecan wood at around 140F for about 8 hours until you obtain a nice rich mahogany color.
  • Cook Andouille in the smoker at 170F - 195F until the internal temperature reaches 154F-158F. This should take about 30-40 minutes. Add a pan with boiling hot water to expedite the process.
  • Refrigerate after cooling down. Keep wrapped in butcher's paper for best results.

Notes​

You may also poach Andouille after smoking in water at 170F-175F until the internal temperature reaches 154F - 158F, about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can steam or bake in the oven. Another option is to refrigerate it as is and cook as part of a dish, like gumbo.
You and your FIL did good, Matt! I've only made Andouille once before and your recipe is VERY close to the one I used (from www.meatsandsausages.com.) Might need to make some more.....after all, gumbo season is close! :)

R

Ingredients​

Instructions​

Notes​

Just about to try your recipe right now, in Epping, UK BTW

Back