Amazing Ribs EX4/EX6 Review

Yep, I agree that his review is thorough and balanced. In a way, I am glad they waited for some of the "ash" to settle before giving their final opinion. We certainly had our share of wild reactions here (self included). As time went on, some additional info became available and a more balanced approach to this grill seems to have coalesced on our site. I wouldn't doubt our posts were some that he referred to.

I consider the SmokeFire a contender, but I like my Rec Tec just fine. I think for me right now I will be interested to see SmokeFire 2.0 vs. the next Rec Tec "flagship" grill.

Sums it up as good as you can, that’s exactly what it’s like. I love it as a smoker and for weekday grilling I’m finding the kettles getting lonely!

Solid review that really captures it. I’ve had the ex6 now since mid February and agree that it makes really good food! I’m a big fan with “more than a few” cooks under my belt as well. I love how easy it dials in low and slow cooks. Cooks like my WSM plus BBQ IQ110, but even easier on start up and clean up. The bonus is that it is also a very capable grill that will sear a great steak. There is some temp variance, left cooler than mid and right. More apparent at high temps. I have adjusted to it easily like every other BBQ I’ve owned and even use to my advantage with zones for different items on the big EX6 grill. The hopper does bridge. With a full hopper you will get a solid 7-8+ hours before it gets close to running low. I’ve actually never had it run out, but also haven’t needed it to go any longer than 7-8 hours yet. I do hope they will continue to improve the app and deliver the things they have promised - lower than 200 temps, just because it sounds interning, not because I’ve very used it before, and mostly remote temp control. I’d like to some cook temp tracking like you get with MEATER and fire board and others.

Maybe not perfect in all ways, but really, really good. I give it 5 stars for cooking results and the innovation it delivers in the pellet space. Maybe 4 stars overall until the hopper is perfected, but I think 3 of 5 is slightly low given what it is doing so well. Just my humble opinion. I personally wouldn’t trade it for any other pellet smokers at the moment.

Well I'm a 100% reversal. I had a return and a credit card action in place and it sat in the box in my garage for a week. One guys video convinced me to give it a try. Yes I have had a couple of the issues mentioned, but in reality it has made BBQ for me much easier.

Mods proposed like what Dave is doing....the ramp...trays...vacuum, start up watching it....some careful attention to details well ok how is that different than what I was doing with my WSM?

My last overnight cook was very impressive. It ran for 14 hours and didn't miss a beat and yes I got a full nights sleep. WSM I would be checking on it every few hours.

Glad I kept it.

Jump on in - the water's not that cold.

I'm approaching this from the viewpoint that my charcoal-based Weber units were not designed as nor marketed as hands-off cookers. My experience is that they've performed as advertised and I prefer not taking a gamble, thereby possibly changing my perspective on Weber :)

I think we all see what we want to see in a review like this. For me, it confirms my decision to not buy one.

You are wise.
I wonder how I would have taken their review had it been my only source. After all the other st8uff I thought it was fair.
Course they gloss over a few bits but at least mention them. They were walking a tightrope or so it seemed. And they were seemingly the past month going to whitewash it. But in the end I felt okay about it.
Course if that was the first/only review how would I feel.
Still hoping for a well-built, fool-proof, brisket machine. Larger capacity too. Add shelves. Especially below to tie the legs together. Larger wheels. Maybe better software. Adjust fan and embers. Increase vertical height for larger cook chamber etc.

You are wise.
I wonder how I would have taken their review had it been my only source. After all the other st8uff I thought it was fair.
Course they gloss over a few bits but at least mention them. They were walking a tightrope or so it seemed. And they were seemingly the past month going to whitewash it. But in the end I felt okay about it.
Course if that was the first/only review how would I feel.
Still hoping for a well-built, fool-proof, brisket machine. Larger capacity too. Add shelves. Especially below to tie the legs together. Larger wheels. Maybe better software. Adjust fan and embers. Increase vertical height for larger cook chamber etc.
Maybe you need to look elsewhere for all that.

I added larger wheels, I’ve opted not to install the hopper insert and I have an awesome front shelf on the way. I’m making a great cooker even better, because it’s what I want to do.

It wasn't supposed to be the same as the WSM. I won't rehash the list of broken promises.

I get that....i guess my point was that we all know BBQ is work else everyone would do it. My workload hasn't been that bad really.

I do think Weber and perhaps its customers as well, didn't manage their expectations well. Guilty as charged.

Plenty of mistakes made and now my company is offering leaves so I may have some REAL opportunity to put it thru its paces!

Hope it holds up.

Since I don't own a Smokefire and never considered putting out that kind of money I don't have a dog in this fight. Both sides in this discussion are right for their situation. Based on reports here I think Amazingribs gave the Smokefire a fair review. I happen to enjoy taking inexpensive cookers and making them better so if I had purchased a Smokefire I would be busy working to make it better too. I completely understand why current owners are hanging in there. A perfectly operating Smokefire would be an awesome cooker. Utopia is just one more mod away. :) The only cookers I owned and didn't modify are the Weber Kettles over the decades and I suspect that when I'm gone my stock Performer will pass to a Grandchild.

Back