Am I crazy?

Ken M.

I'm going to look at this grill tomorrow. For $350 it seems like a decent deal even if I need to replace the center igniter.
I'm sure a few other parts need replacing and I can cut out or stop the rust in the cabinet.
What does everyone think?

P.S. Super excited to be a part of this forum. I love my weber!

Yes you are crazy. Those things are rust buckets, a nightmare to repair and expensive as all get out to fix as well. Only way I would be looking at that is for $35 not $350. Sorry. Been there done that turn with a Summit. Not going down that rabbit hole again

Yes you are crazy. Those things are rust buckets, a nightmare to repair and expensive as all get out to fix as well. Only way I would be looking at that is for $35 not $350. Sorry. Been there done that turn with a Summit. Not going down that rabbit hole again
WOW! ok, I've never owned or even seen a summit in person. I thought that the Summit was Weber's higher end grills. Most Weber's can clean up well. The summits aren't built the same?
Thanks for the heads up, I'm probably going to still look at it but unless it looks perfect I'll pass on it.

Yah, they're great grills but are rust buckets (the bottom cabinet). They don't even show a pic of the bottom cabinet so that is suspecting. I'd pass on it. There are some threads on here about that grill being rust buckets, just ask Jon Tofte.

It is not even that the cabinets get rusty as all cabinets if not kept well will get rusty. It is really the fact that they do not use a cast aluminum fire box like the Spirit and Genesis grills. They are enameled steel so they rust as well. I have no idea why.

Dave and Joe are right, I am afraid. When new they are certainly great cookers and have an imposing monster appearance. For the chef it's probably hard to not feel like you are at the helm of the starship Enterprise:). Then time quickly takes its toll. A +$2K grill should have REAL stainless steel cabinetry, but instead it is cheap steel that rusts like crazy. Then, the firebox is an engineering nightmare destined for the front and back to rust out. Now you have a DANGEROUS - not just unsightly - issue.

I have a very soft place in my heart for the 1st generation Summit. (I am now the owner of the Summit Larry kindly sold to me!) However, these also share the firebox issue and are not for the faint of heart. These current 3rd generation Summits are in my view too big and heavy, too complicated, too compromised in construction.

Summit Rusted Firebox front 2.jpg

Summit Rusty Bottom.jpg

What I did with my Summit "flip" project grills:

Summit Junk.jpg

Attachments

• Bad Summit.jpg
    Bad Summit.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 7
Thank you all. I'm going to 100% pass on this. Thanks for saving me an hour of my time and of course the $350!

You're welcome. Watch for other high end large grills. Sometimes people just want things "gone". Like when I found my Wolf. Hell the steel alone was worth what I gave for it. Had it going on 10 years now. Only coin I have put in it are RCPlanebuyer's custom grates and a larger gas line Even with his grates I don't have $400 in it

You're welcome. Watch for other high end large grills. Sometimes people just want things "gone". Like when I found my Wolf. Hell the steel alone was worth what I gave for it. Had it going on 10 years now. Only coin I have put in it are RCPlanebuyer's custom grates and a larger gas line Even with his grates I don't have $400 in it
I saw a wolf recently in my area. Since I couldn't easily find parts for it I passed on it. I don't know much about Wolf other than the indoor appliances and wasn't sure how much they support their grills. I take it you're very happy with your Wolf.

Actually have not needed to replace anything but the grates so I don't know about support though I can tell you parts are EXPEN$IVE

The Summit is huge! You need space and you need a lot of family and friends and it still might be too big. I’ve cooked on one but never owned one. I also helped move one and it is a beast! It was fun to cook on but as an everyday grill I agree the old Genesis is the way to go. I have an old redhead and also a 2001 Gold B which I adore.

Back