Aluminum cross member replacement

Andrew F

TVWBB Super Fan
Both of my cross members by the firebox are rusty. One is 90% gone and has to be replaced and the other might be able to be saved, but….
I could buy steel tubes and weld them in, but I was looking at the repair using the threaded inserts and bolts and that got me thinking of using aluminum tubing as the cross members and never having to worry about rusting again.
Sound like a good idea, or have I missed something obvious like a galvanic reaction, or melting do to fire temp?

I would use regular steel either tube or angle iron and weld it in if you can. If you want to keep the grill in service forever look for a better frame as a spare.

Some folks on this site have completely disassembled the frames and treated the inside of the tubes to inhibit rust on grills they plan to keep forever

There is also stainless steel tube framing to consider. I think aluminum would work fine on the lower half of the grill. If you have to replace the piece that bolts to the firebox I would try for stainless or use well painted regular steel.

This picture is of a Platinum that had all stainless frame, but the lower half was supported by a painted steel bottom piece with wrap around bends to mimic a frame tube. Those (used on some later Silvers as well) always rust out. I replaced with real frame tubes (one shown in lower center of picture) made of stainless that I got from my friend who owned a sheet metal shop at the time. Not being a welder I used the bolt attachment and inserts.

59197AF0-585A-4F27-856A-A391FA0C000A.jpeg

I agree with the above. I would use regular steel if you are welding it in. You could maybe use SS but I am not sure how that would work for welding to plain steel frame. If you use the inserts, then you can use any of the three metals. But, a regular steel piece will likely last you another 15 years at least. That would be the best way to go for welding.

Back