Alternative to factory drip pan rails

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I got tired of having to scrounge for drip pan rails on nearly every one of my rehabs. I don't even know if you can buy new replacements any longer, but I am sure they are expensive if you can. So, I set out to find something I could fab them out of for less. I happened upon Z stock for "picture hanging". The ones I selected are aluminum probably about 1/16" thick so they should last a long time. I bought the stock a couple months ago, but was waiting for rehab season to actually try them out. I have to say I am very happy with how it worked out. The cost per set is going to be a bit over $4.00 and since they are fairly thick aluminum, they should last much longer than the factory zinc plated steel ones. It just comes down to a matter of cutting them to length and drilling one hole in each. Then a little filing to get burs off the edges and you are set.
This might not be the solution for a personal rehab for one grill, but for those who fab and flip, it is worth a look. Better than scrounging around for a serviceable set or putting a less than acceptable set on an otherwise pristine rehab.

I included a video below of the set I fabbed up and here is a link to the Z stock on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07G8M619X/tvwb-20

[video=youtube;KGfaWwSmAX4]

Great idea. But they are not $7 a 6" section. The pair is actually $25. But nether the less cheaper than the original ones.

Stefan, you are right. When I was filming the video, I couldn't remember for sure how much they had cost me. When I went back and looked, I realized it was more, but like you said, still a good deal for rehab/flips.

Yeah, but looks like you can 20 for $140. Is that $7 per 6ft rail or $7 per set of 2? If you went in with others on a block purchase like that the cost per grill would be very low. Thanks for sharing Bruce. Maybe after I move north we could look into that with some other guys in the Midwest.

Yes, maybe so.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Back