All this chatter about water pans....

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
.... has me looking into the 'why' for replacing the pan.

I discovered that what I have in my 1999 WSM18 appears to be a water pan shaped more like the 22's.

Mine looks like this, though obviously the proper size for an 18. This is Part #63025 for the 22..

63025.png

Versus the much deeper looking pan ( Part #63024 ) that Weber has listed for the 18.
63024.png

Was there a change in the pans offered for each size? I sure would prefer the larger capacity of deeper pan when doing longer cooks.

Except that a larger pan will reduce the charcoal pile height for longer cooks...

ADDED : should have read "might reduce"

Last edited:
Let's set the Wayback Machine to 2008. There was only one size of WSM, the 18.5" model. It came with a shallow water pan that held 1 gallon of water. The pan was a repurposed lid from the Smokey Joe. (Weber was famous for re-purposing existing parts from other grills in the design of the WSM.)

2008wsm18-waterpan.jpg

People complained, they wanted a higher capacity water pan. Many of us bought the Brinkmann 812-0002-0 smoker charcoal pan as a replacement. It was used to hold charcoal in Brinkmann smokers, not water, but it was affordable and the perfect size and profile for a WSM water pan and held almost 2 gallons of water. Here's a pic, you'll notice is has steeper sides and a flat bottom.

brinkmann-812-0002-0-smoker-charcoal-pan.jpg

Unbeknownst to WSM owners, Weber engineers like TVWBB member Mike Durso was monitoring this forum and listening to our suggestions/complaints. In Fall 2008 for the 2009 model year, Weber introduced the brand new WSM 22.5" and a revised WSM 18.5". To increase water capacity in the 18.5" WSM, they repurposed the charcoal bowl from the Smokey Joe as the new water pan. Unlike the Brinkmann pan, it has a deep, round profile that hangs low over the charcoal chamber. While it does hold 2.5 gallons of water, it can sit right on top of lit charcoal and smoke wood if you really pile it up in the charcoal chamber, and some folks don't like that.

Brinkmann went out of business, their pans are getting harder to find, and the prices are going up, up, up. Thus some people look for alternatives elsewhere, pans with greater capacity but with a shallower profile.

For the 22.5" WSM, Weber repurposed the lid from the 18.5" Weber kettle as a water pan. Its shallow profile is similar to the pre-2008 WSM 18.5" water pan and it hold 3 gallons of water.

For the 14.5" WSM introduced in Fall 2013 for the 2014 model year, Weber made a small water pan using a part similar to the bowl from the discontinued Weber Torch.

So it's only the 2009 and newer WSM 18.5" that has what some people feel is a problematic water pan and perhaps in need of an alternative pan.

Thank you Chris.. I love knowing the back story on these things.

I'm good with the shallower pan for now, but I have been bookmarking the alternative pans as you all post them. Interesting that what I have is the lid for the Smokey Joe. I have been using the charcoal bowl of my WSM as a make-shift grill and am looking at either a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe.

I used charcoal as a kid.. got away from it for years and now both my wife and I are hooked on again. This is a slippery slope!

Some tips below on using your WSM as an 18" grill.

Putting the charcoal unit (coal grate and ring) on the water pan brackets in the midsection works pretty well.

For roasting temps, put the cooking grate on the top position. Then to sear, drop the cooking grate down on top of the ring.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.. Thus far I have been using just the charcoal bowl, grate and ring and loading the coals for indirect/direct. Seems to work well, except the lid is a balancing act and the cooking grate is a bit close for my liking. I hadn't tried putting the coal unit on the water pan brackets.
Almost bought a Jumbo Joe this afternoon. I'll check out the info in your link.. thanks!

LOL.. all great ideas are stolen. I have been trying to find a way to keep the WSM lid from sliding off the charcoal bowl and had come up with almost the same idea at the end of the article you linked to.

This was very helpful! thank you

Thank you Chris.. I love knowing the back story on these things.

I'm good with the shallower pan for now, but I have been bookmarking the alternative pans as you all post them. Interesting that what I have is the lid for the Smokey Joe. I have been using the charcoal bowl of my WSM as a make-shift grill and am looking at either a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe.

I used charcoal as a kid.. got away from it for years and now both my wife and I are hooked on again. This is a slippery slope!
Michael,
I was a gas guy until 18 months ago when I started smoking. Now I have a WSM and a 22 inch kettle Master Touch. Got both used and I love them!!! The Master Touch is used almost daily and the WSM at least weekly. I first got the WSM and used it as a grill so many times, but then I got the Master Touch and now love them both, but the Master Touch is the work horse. I highly recommend adding a kettle to accompany your WSM.

Michael,
I was a gas guy until 18 months ago when I started smoking. Now I have a WSM and a 22 inch kettle Master Touch. Got both used and I love them!!! The Master Touch is used almost daily and the WSM at least weekly. I first got the WSM and used it as a grill so many times, but then I got the Master Touch and now love them both, but the Master Touch is the work horse. I highly recommend adding a kettle to accompany your WSM.

Sounds like a similar path...

My challenge is that I don't want to store another grill. While I have a HUGE deck (over 2900 square feet) am trying to keep it confined to one corner and don't want to leave a collection of grills out. My veggie & herb garden is right next to and the wide wing tables on my gasser, are a great work table when smoking. The front of my house faces the open water and the side where I am set up is the least windy location... anyplace else and things just blow around. Took me two years to find the preferred spot where my grill won't blow out or over. I have house gas plumbed out to the gas grill for long rotis cooks (best move I ever made grilling related). The rest of the deck contains various seating, tables and fire pits. Behind you, in the picture below is another 200+ square feet with yet another large table with seating.

Any way, directly opposite the grill, to your left in the picture, is enclosed storage.. not that big but big enough to store a small kettle. While there are quite a few ways to successfully use the WSM as a grill, I'll likely add the Jumbo Joe at some point.

I am also considering using the area behind the gasser, left and right of the WSM, to make a more grande covered cooking area. That would give me room to add a larger built-in to accommodate everything. One step at a time!!

IMG_9604.jpg

Back