Advice please…..The search in progress for a Performer

I've determined the gas assist Performer is the grill I need. However, I'd like to purchase "previously owner" to use at our cottage. It's been a lot of searching and not a lot out there. Which is probably a testament in itself for the Performer.

Having said that, there's a CL ad for a Performer without gas assist or charcoal bin. The table has a large chip in the end. I offered less at $100, and he agreed. However, I'm not sure I can fix the thermoset…is there a fix???

Also, if I pay $100 bucks, will I ever justify buying another one with gas assist??? well I could justify, but I'd have to convince the "other half" lol

THoughts??
21__Weber_grill_with_cart_and_working_countertop_zpsfe0etjpj.jpg

Last edited:
Char, if you can get that for $100 grab it! Mine is not gas assisted, I have never really missed it. Replacement tables are available from Weber or you can do something like mine. I would love to have a spare carriage for the day mine finally rusts through. It lives out year round and used almost almost as much in February as June!
Let the table go until it completely fails then, make a new one.

Last edited:
I have two gas assist performers and that's what got me back into charcoal cooking. The gas assist just makes it so much easier, of course the table is a big part of it also. Personally the gas assist to me is worth the wait. I bought my first one for $45 in excellent condition and the second one was new, never used for $125.
To your point I'm not seeing a lot of them here on CL anymore ether.
But I do believe $100 is a lot for a non gas assist performer with a broken table top. If it's been on there awhile it's over priced or someone would have grabbed it by now.

It's over priced because of the broken table...I know the feeling of wanting a used performer and not finding anything. My thing is that because that is possibly a second generation even if it wasn't registered the table might be out of warranty. You can however Try to put a call to the customer service and roll the dice, if not you will have to dish about $60 for a table shipped but you have to add it to the paid price...I would personally hold off...I did and was able to find a gas performer and pretty much restored it to new...I will be posting pics soon. Btw, I love the gas assist feature.

What Rich and Felix said is spot on. With adding the price for a new table top, that is just not a good deal. I agree that the gas assist is the way to go. If you need a grill for the cottage right away, why not get a used kettle only. You will spend less and I would imagine that you have some type of table to use near the grill there already. Just a thought but it is worth thinking about. And if you do later find a good Performer for the cottage, you can then gift the kettle to a family member and get them started on outdoor cooking done right. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input, it really helped. I had scheduled to see it today, but decided to cancel.

I think the deciding factor was the explanation to my husband that the Performer Deluxe removes all the obstacles that we have with charcoal grilling. And later when I showed him the plain performer without the gas assist he thought I would be settling. Which is true, I would be.

I think he wants to buy it for my birthday.

Don't settle. I have many grills, and I use my Performer's gas assist to start all the other one's before I start cooking on it. The bin isn't all that great, but it does hold my bags of wood chips.

Keep an eye on CL and sooner or later you're going to find what you want at a great price.

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
John Quincy Adams

For me, while I understand the "settling" for something, this is for the cottage, how much time will you spend with it?
I have never found the Kalamazoo Gazette more useful!
It's up to you but, I still think that's not a bad deal, gas assist performers are going for 250 on CL around here(almost all the way to Lake Michigan) I can use a whole subscription to the paper for a long time for another hundred and fifty bucks,
Just sayin'.
You will find what trips the trigger for you at the right time, just be patient.

I'd hold out for a better one.
That is the smaller size "2nd generation". There were two table sizes.

I like the original "SSP" (stainless steel performer) and the 3rd generation performers best.
They seem to be plentiful out here....$50 - $175

Example...
Here's a 2nd gen Performer only the deluxe version of what was posted above.
https://salem.craigslist.org/for/5666745905.html

Last edited:
Ooh Aww.. Joe F. why don't we have deals like that? I've been watching for 4 months now and nothing like that has ever come my way. That posting was from 14 days ago and it's still active? that would have been gone in seconds. Maybe I should watch for it in the Fall.

Good news though! My husband is buying me a new performer for my birthday. I'm guessing I'm going to love it, so I may want one down state too. So I'll keep my CL's alert active and keep waiting for the right one.

just for the record, the grill in the pic isn't a Performer. It's a One Touch Platinum. A perfectly fine grill to be sure, with arguable "deficiencies" as some have noted. Personally, in my local market, that grill is over priced @$100 and I wouldn't even consider it. For $75? I'd be tempted, especially if I didn't have a Performer.

Are you far from Ann Arbor?

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/for/5687680726.html

Doesn't have the gas assist, but does have the full sized cart, timer, tool holder and storage bin.

01111_bcqYzU4gh8G_1200x900.jpg

Thanks Dave W., Yes i saw that one today. It was using the search WEBBER, the double B's. I was going to get it tonight. But I went to my local ACE hardware to look at the gas assist and I decided that indeed its the most important thing for me. I've been a gasser (I know what you're thinking..not that type ha ha) for years due to convenience. But I love the flavors from charcoal so this is a very important feature to convert me over. Just like Rich Dahl.

Since I'm buying one new, I think I'll wait "practice patience" for the S.S. performer with gas assist for the second one.

Ooh Aww.. Joe F. why don't we have deals like that? I've been watching for 4 months now and nothing like that has ever come my way. That posting was from 14 days ago and it's still active? that would have been gone in seconds. Maybe I should watch for it in the Fall.

Good news though! My husband is buying me a new performer for my birthday. I'm guessing I'm going to love it, so I may want one down state too. So I'll keep my CL's alert active and keep waiting for the right one.
Nice and you won't have any OPC (Other People's Cooties) to wash/burn off.
(I just bought a used One Touch Gold and it has some serious cooties !)

:)

I thought that was OCD ha ha. My hubby thinks that way. I figure I can burn all germs off with 160 degrees or more.

I'm excited for the new one, but Crate and Barrel isn't going to ship it until after 7-27. I'm not a very patient person, so this will drive me crazy. But I have the SJCG and just bought some chimney starters. Now I just have to open a can of tuna to save the can. ( I read on here that the tuna can is used as a platform to raise the starter closer to the briquettes.) anyone know if it matters what size tuna can? I have the normal size( it makes 2 sandwiches) and then the large size ( that makes 3-4 sandwiches). I guess I'm too lazy to get up and read the ounces.

There is an old Redd Foxx bit which decorum denies posting about cleaning up but, that would be a good one, it's got the old five pound ignition set up.
Glad you're getting one you want! There have been some amazing books written but, the OLD paper insert was the one that I feel gave the best directions for the basic "principles" of how to use a kettle.
I'm trying to find my old one. I know it's here "somewhere"!

Back