Advice for a new Weber Grill

AnikD

Hello All

new to the board. I’ve read some great information on here.

I’m looking at purchasing a new grill. I was going back and forth between the Napoleon rogue and the Weber genesis ii and have decided on the genesisii

in Canada, in addition to the standard genesis ii with the Cast iron grates, we have another model here - the genesis ii CE-310. This is the same as the standard genesis but the only difference is that it comes with 7mm stainless steel rod grates. it’s $100 more for this version.

Ive read that 9mm stainless rods are best but from what I’ve seen, I can only get those on higher end grills which puts me over my budget. We don’t have the SE models here in Canada any more - I’ve called around. Those actually came with the 9mm stainless

so between these options, should I go for the version with the 7mm stainless grates or standard cast iron?

Am I able to purchase 9mm stainless grates separately that will fit the genesis 2?

thanks!

Wouldn't a Napoleon be more cost effective? Since they're made in Canada no import duties? Re, grates I honestly dislike the thinner more widely spaced ones. Some people don't seem to mind them but I really dislike them. Can you get better ones? Sure. But it now makes an already IMO over priced unit even more so

Wouldn't a Napoleon be more cost effective? Since they're made in Canada no import duties? Re, grates I honestly dislike the thinner more widely spaced ones. Some people don't seem to mind them but I really dislike them. Can you get better ones? Sure. But it now makes an already IMO over priced unit even more so

thanks - almost all Napoleons now made in China except top of the line models. In any case they are almost the same price - I can get a rogue 525 SE with infrared sear burner For the same price but from my research, the Weber is better

I have a Genesis E310 that i got back in 2014 and it's been a great grill. I am now just having to replace the flavoring bars.

I have a set of Bbqparts 7mm stainless grates on one of my 2 grills and the pricier rcplanebuyer 9mm grates on the other. To me both sets are wonderful. I like the 7 mm grates just as well and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I like stainless much better than cast iron for ease of maintenance and durability.

If I was buying a new grill I would go for a weber genesis over a Napoleon too. The weber just seems more solidly built. Plus the Napoleon has those goofy wavy grates.

Do you have the Costco opinion in Canada.

If you have decided it's going to be the Weber this isn't a bad deal for what you get.

Thanks everyone! Yes we do have costco option - this is the one available at Costco:

Unfortunately, they only have a propane option, the NG is sold out. It’s the same price as the Weber I was looking at but more features. Again, only thing that was holding me back was propane on the Costco model

I see, well I would go with the 7mm stainless rods. Here's an article on grill grates...

Anik, I have the 7 mm SS rod grates on my S330 Genesis and like Greg, I like them. I have never tried the 9 mm but the SS will last much longer than the PCI will, for sure. You can order 9 mm from RCP In the US but with our $ being where it is and the shipping to Canada, it is not realistic price wise for most of us.

If I was choosing between porcelain plated cast iron and 7mm stainless, I would hands down go with the stainless. If the cast iron was available with no porcelain plating - it's not, only very old ones for the first Genesis - that might sway me back to cast iron. Every set of plated cast iron I have used inevitably starts chipping off. It's just great when you bring in grilled food with crunchy, porcelain seasoning :oops: !

The 9mm stainless rods offered by Weber on a select few Genesis II grills sure look nice, among the nicest available. But I think you will get perfectly fine results from the 7mm rods.

Back