Adding a second swing table to a genesis x or x000

HankBates

TVWBB Super Fan
There is lots that I can do (and probly still will) to my recently acquired Gen 3000, but I really wanted a table near the side burner.
Luckily a week ago I came across what I thought would be a good donor of a left side table, a Skyline 1200 about 2 miles from me.
Turns out that in spite of its almost totally white end caps and cook box the table became a loan, but that's another story.

As I have been able to learn from elsewhere on the site, there are two things you can do with the LH slide bar to get the notch in the right place (and also perhaps get the now unused LH notch out of the way):
1. Install it in its normal orientation, as seen in the pictures, cutting another notch at the other end (not yet done). The easiest thing to do, but it appears to need some fiddling to get the slider out of the old (LH) notch, still present at the other end, every time you put the table in the up position.
2. Flip it so that the old notch is now at the proper end but facing up, cut the new notch next to the old one, on the other edge, and add new mounting holes because the slide bar is now upside down.

Recommendations? I was pleased to learn from my temporary installation that this will actually work...

Attachments

• IMG-0179.jpg
    IMG-0179.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-0180.jpg
    IMG-0180.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-0181.jpg
    IMG-0181.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-0183.jpg
    IMG-0183.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 51
There is lots that I can do (and probly still will) to my recently acquired Gen 3000, but I really wanted a table near the side burner.
Luckily a week ago I came across what I thought would be a good donor of a left side table, a Skyline 1200 about 2 miles from me.
Turns out that in spite of its almost totally white end caps and cook box the table became a loan, but that's another story.

As I have been able to learn from elsewhere on the site, there are two things you can do with the LH slide bar to get the notch in the right place (and also perhaps get the now unused LH notch out of the way):
1. Install it in its normal orientation, as seen in the pictures, cutting another notch at the other end (not yet done). The easiest thing to do, but it appears to need some fiddling to get the slider out of the old (LH) notch, still present at the other end, every time you put the table in the up position.
2. Flip it so that the old notch is now at the proper end but facing up, cut the new notch next to the old one, on the other edge, and add new mounting holes because the slide bar is now upside down.

Recommendations? I was pleased to learn from my temporary installation that this will actually work...
Either way will work, BUT...I did Option #1. It has never caused me any trouble because if you flip the bar end for end instead of rotating it the existing notch is at the bottom on the far end and gravity keeps the slider out of the notch. Just lift the table to raise it, no problem. Occasionally lube the slider bar for easy operation, BTW. If you do Option#2, every time you lift the slider out of the notch to release the table, you will have to lift the slider just enough to get it out of the top notch but not so high that the slider doesn't go into the bottom notch, causing it to hang up.

EDIT: I misspoke. I went out to take a picture and discovered that I had done mine like Option #1 but as you say, the notch ends up on the top. Notice that the slider does not slide at right angles to the bar but instead travels at an angle...this is why I've never encountered any issues with having the rear notch on top.

Attachments

• 20220903_162754.png
    20220903_162754.png
    353.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Looks good to me Hank, I just hope no Skyline was harmed in this pursuit 😀. Once again, it's a shame that you can no longer purchase the original hardware to make it look 100% factory.

Either way will work, BUT...I did Option #1. It has never caused me any trouble because if you flip the bar end for end instead of rotating it the existing notch is at the bottom on the far end and gravity keeps the slider out of the notch. Just lift the table to raise it, no problem. Occasionally lube the slider bar for easy operation, BTW. If you do Option#2, every time you lift the slider out of the notch to release the table, you will have to lift the slider just enough to get it out of the top notch but not so high that the slider doesn't go into the bottom notch, causing it to hang up.

EDIT: I misspoke. I went out to take a picture and discovered that I had done mine like Option #1 but as you say, the notch ends up on the top. Notice that the slider does not slide at right angles to the bar but instead travels at an angle...this is why I've never encountered any issues with having the rear notch on top.
Thanks a bunch for your really good input, Ed.
Since my trial seems to indicate that I may have troubles with hangup at the old notch, I think I'll use option #1 with a new ramp added for the old notch to insure it doesn't work. See my attached crude effort from paint 3d.

Attachments

• Proposed.png
    Proposed.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 14
Looks good to me Hank, I just hope no Skyline was harmed in this pursuit 😀. Once again, it's a shame that you can no longer purchase the original hardware to make it look 100% factory.
When I went to pickup the Skyline I saw a posting which promised a donor and nothing else.
When I got it home I was amazed how complete it was, even to the hanging table and the original gas bottle.
More later on it, no sacrifice now planned.
I went to college in Chicago, after having grown up in Joliet. Went to IIT, majored in ChE, and pizzerias UNO and DUE.
Kind of nice to have that skyline looking out back at me again.

Attachments

• skyline.JPG
    skyline.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 22
  • skyline1.JPG
    skyline1.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 22
Thanks a bunch for your really good input, Ed.
Since my trial seems to indicate that I may have troubles with hangup at the old notch, I think I'll use option #1 with a new ramp added for the old notch to insure it doesn't work. See my attached crude effort from paint 3d.
I would try it without the ramp first, in the event that your ramp contributes to the problem. You might be over-thinking this. Try it for a few days...you can always add the ramp later, but you can't remove the ramp once it's there. That linkage is prone to sticking anyway, which is why it needs to be lubed occasionally.

Hank, That Skyline grill checks all the boxes for me. The price was right, the lid appears to be in good shape, and all the pieces are there. I hope you decide to do a full restoration on it.

I would try it without the ramp first, in the event that your ramp contributes to the problem. You might be over-thinking this. Try it for a few days...you can always add the ramp later, but you can't remove the ramp once it's there. That linkage is prone to sticking anyway, which is why it needs to be lubed occasionally.
Yea you’re right, it’s best to wait and do things one step at a time

Almost as difficult as finding the correct right side rail, but it’s more fun this way 🧐

Last edited:
Ed, you were right, no extra ramps needed.
I made the notch for rh mounting and did not modify the lh notch.

Next project on this will be to get the two tables to match.
Since I don't have enough durawood slats, and only enough of the original slats to cover only the existing tables, I thought I would improvise with the black painted oak slats which came along with the replacement zbars. You can see them resting on top of the slats to be moved in the first two pictures.
Since I will be reusing old wood, I will be getting a bunch of new screws. #8 x 1/2 appears to be what was used originally, but #10 x 1/2" might be a better choice. Or, has anyone considered using # 8 or 10 carriage or other through bolts here?

Like musical chairs around here, the rh table and the 33001 end bracket were temporarily borrowed from the skyline, and they will be replaced later with the same items from the spirit 700. I have an original folding (plastic) table in the 700. No extra 33001 yet, but the one for the special tray on the Skyline will suffice until I find another...

Attachments

• IMG-0186.jpg
    IMG-0186.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0188.jpg
    IMG-0188.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-0187.jpg
    IMG-0187.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0185.jpg
    IMG-0185.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
One item I had overlooked when I put the second swing table on the Gen 1000 was there is no practical way to mount tool holders in the usual spot.
Has anyone ever put them in between the cook box and the frame? It seems that there is (on this box, at least) enough clearance to mount them, but not at the ends where the box is supported and in contact with the frame.
When I looked through my stock, I found two holders which are much shorter, and I think they came from our Spirit 700.

Attachments

• Tool holder.jpg
    Tool holder.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 4
I think I have seen that done. I guess as long as you are just putting metal tools in front it would be OK. If you have leather straps that hold them on, the straps may prematurely dry out and fail due to the heat.

I think I have seen that done. I guess as long as you are just putting metal tools in front it would be OK. If you have leather straps that hold them on, the straps may prematurely dry out and fail due to the heat.
I recall someone added a wood end piece on an x000 with tool holders.

It looked like a great idea to move tool holders to the side like on Silver/Gold models but also providing a handle on the left side to move the grill around.

I recall someone added a wood end piece on an x000 with tool holders.

It looked like a great idea to move tool holders to the side like on Silver/Gold models but also providing a handle on the left side to move the grill around.
I have also added Silver end caps, one with tool holders, to an otherwise older style grill:

Silver A for Bill FINISHED hood open.jpeg

Back