A used WSM 18" ... To buy, or not to buy, that is the question

Is this a good offer?

• Nah, the pulled pork will have to wait.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it is time to buy the brisket.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

OttoD

Hello everyone!!

I am new to the group, and I would like to ask for your opinions, fellow grillers :george:.

I am planning on buying a Smokey mountain (either 14.5" or 18") and found this smoker around north Houston. A few downsides are that it does not have the door, covering, and based on the picture, the thermometer grommet. The seller is asking for $150 on this one.

Any opinion that you may have about it would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• Charchoal.jpg
    Charchoal.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Front2.jpg
    Front2.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Water pan.jpg
    Water pan.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reasonable deal, I’d do it!
I would not give the grommet any credence, get a Cajun Bandit door (or when you register it, tell Weber it was damaged, they might replace it) and start smoking!

Last edited:
Looks like a floor model and he has the middle section upside down.
Still a good price, maybe offer 125 because of the missing door.

It’s definitely upside down but what is the crease in my pic above? Seems like a sharp angle, could be an optical illusion? 🤔

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Bruno, I was also confused by the picture, but for me, it looked like an illusion caused by the door's cut; unless you are referring to something different that I am not seeing, which tbh is highly possible.

And yeah, the middle section is upside down; it got me confused for like five min until I realized what the problem was 😅.

Attachments

• WSM_aDent.PNG
    WSM_aDent.PNG
    612.4 KB · Views: 6
Hello everyone!!

I am new to the group, and I would like to ask for your opinions, fellow grillers :george:.

I am planning on buying a Smokey mountain (either 14.5" or 18") and found this smoker around north Houston. A few downsides are that it does not have the door, covering, and based on the picture, the thermometer grommet. The seller is asking for $150 on this one.

Any opinion that you may have about it would be appreciated!!
Definitely get the 18 inch, the 14 inch is small it doesn't use much more fuel than the 18 inch. We are a family of 6 and I use the 18 inch you can load it up or not. But 18 is the way to go.

Not sure there is actually a dent there. Could be an odd angle given that the mid-section in the photos is turned upside down. Check it out for sure, but it looks OK in the other pictures.

FYI, this does have the probe port hole. You can see it on the bottom of the upside down mid-section in the pictures. But the silicone insert that covers the hole is missing. Many of us prefer the DIY slot over the port hole. But you have to have that hole plugged either way.

FYI, the usual Cajun Bandit replacement doors don't come with a latch/knob. So you'd need a standard Weber door ($30) or an upgraded CJ door with latch ($48) plus the silicone cover ($20).

So it would be $200+ total for a basically new WSM 18. Good deal, but I'd haggle.

Buy it, it has all the making of a great smoker, get a stock door and just fourm it to fit tight ( I used a roof support post on my porch to forum my door).
Love this cooker.

A new door assembly (No. 63018) is $38 from Weber, the probe gasket is probably $2-5 more, and shipping is $7 iirc. So you are at around $50 for the necessary parts. A new 18" is $329. On Offerup, a liquidator in Houston is selling them new in box for $265.

I think $150 is high for a unit that is not complete.

Looks like you're in the Houston area, I saw that same one listed. Definitely get the 18. I have both the 14 and the 18 and if I could only have one it would be the 18. $150 is a decent price. I sold an 18 for $135 not too long ago, the listing only lasted a few hours.

Back