A thing for redheads - ID and restoration

Robert Leland

Hello!

New member to the board and starting my first Weber restoration. Ive seen a lot of great builds here and its inspired me to do one of my own.

I found this one on Facebook free for pickup today:

IMG_0699.jpg

I however am having trouble identifying specifically which model this is.

I found the label underneath but I see nothing visible on it:

IMG_0695.jpg

It did come with 13 flavorizers (surface rusted but I think salvageable) but the grates are done/rusted through.

I love the wood slat look and so far the frame seems to be in good shape.

Besides restoring it the only thing I want to do is add the side burner (which Im hoping I can find from another donor grill).

Any help in ID'ing the specific model (and year range?) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Few more pics (maybe to help ID it):

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

Reactions: Loc
Welcome Robert.

Nice adoption.

It looks like a Genesis 2000. Hard to say the year. Mid 90s, to 98/99.

Can you get a better picture of the tag under the control panel?

The hard-to-find part for this model is the bottom tray, and if it has any rust it would be an area to attend to.

Based on the location of the tag under the control panel and the design of the Weber badge on the lid I can only offer that the newest it could be is 1997.

I would say it's a mid-90's Genesis 4xxx...if it's original. The 4xxx had two side tables and two swing tables and (optionally) 2 serving trays. The 3xxx (which is what you want) had 1 side table, 1 swing table and 1 external burner and (optionally) 1 serving tray. This is a picture from the owner's manual of a 1989 Genesis 4 NG model showing the 4 tables and serving trays.

Noticing that much of your label is in French with Canadian gas certification so likely this model was originally sold in Canada.

20201202_104711.jpg

Last edited:
@DanHoo , you are absolutely correct! A 2000 without the right swing table, yes. I noticed the endcap appears to be missing (to these old eyes!) on the right and that forms the outside support for the table, so assumed it could possibly have had a swing table. If the slider bracket is there on the right (can't tell from the photos), that would clinch it, but I believe you are right! The regulator seems to be hanging off of something on the right (maybe the tank scale arm?).

Last edited:
Yeah, a better side picture showing the right hand side of the frame would show the slider.

The tag would also tell us if the tag is readable.

The stamp on the cookbox shows '95' - and there is/was no shelf or slider on the right side for a second shelf.

so would it be safe to say I have a 1995 Genesis 2000?

Thanks!
1995 for the cookbox, anyway. Can you read the number of nibs or pips on the casting date? They would start out with 1 pip for January and add a punch mark for each succesive month at the foundry. In the picture of the casting date above, that would indicate a June '86 casting date and from there the cookbox would go into inventory. There is also a casting date on each of the lid endcaps, near the hinge boss, that can add more information. This is an endcap from a later grill...note the casting date indicates 12/89. It's anybody's guess when these were actually used to assemble a grill, however, and depending on inventory control and other variables there may be vastly different casting dates between endcap and cookbox.

End Cap Casting Date.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Loc
Hello!

New member to the board and starting my first Weber restoration. Ive seen a lot of great builds here and its inspired me to do one of my own.

I found this one on Facebook free for pickup today:

View attachment 44096

I however am having trouble identifying specifically which model this is.

I found the label underneath but I see nothing visible on it:

View attachment 44097

It did come with 13 flavorizers (surface rusted but I think salvageable) but the grates are done/rusted through.

I love the wood slat look and so far the frame seems to be in good shape.

Besides restoring it the only thing I want to do is add the side burner (which Im hoping I can find from another donor grill).

Any help in ID'ing the specific model (and year range?) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Few more pics (maybe to help ID it):

View attachment 44098

View attachment 44099
Welcome Robert! Hope you get the Weber as shiny as the roadster behind it!

Noticing that much of your label is in French with Canadian gas certification so likely this model was originally sold in Canada.
Not necessarily originally sold in Canada. Grills of that era had both English and French on the label, allowing for sale in the US and Canada English/French speaking areas.

Here are 1996 Genesis 1000 and 1996 Genesis 2000 labels, both from US grills.

tork-t-genesis-1000.jpg

1996Genesis2000labelSarahG.jpg

Not necessarily originally sold in Canada. Grills of that era had both English and French on the label, allowing for sale in the US and Canada English/French speaking areas.

Here are 1996 Genesis 1000 and 1996 Genesis 2000 labels, both from US grills.

View attachment 44118

View attachment 44119
Interesting stuff! I notice that the gas cert is only certified under one (ANSI Z21) or the other (CAN/CGA-1.6), so likely in your example it was a USA model. Thanks, Chris!

Yep, unless the grill has a swing table slide on the right side, it never had a swing table on that side.

Nice find. Very similar to the 1000-LX redhead I'm reworking. I have no side table on the right. Plus your wood slats are in way better shape. I'm missing one frame for the slats and the two from the bottom are badly rusted. You're setting out from a way better start point. Good luck. Can't wait to see the result.

1995 for the cookbox, anyway. Can you read the number of nibs or pips on the casting date? They would start out with 1 pip for January and add a punch mark for each succesive month at the foundry. In the picture of the casting date above, that would indicate a June '86 casting date and from there the cookbox would go into inventory. There is also a casting date on each of the lid endcaps, near the hinge boss, that can add more information. This is an endcap from a later grill...note the casting date indicates 12/89. It's anybody's guess when these were actually used to assemble a grill, however, and depending on inventory control and other variables there may be vastly different casting dates between endcap and cookbox.

View attachment 44111
I can make out a '_5' on the right side and the other character I can't - so Ill assume the lid is a '95' as well.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 9.44.55 PM.png

Late to the party but that is yes, a 2000. You can easily make it a 3000 by putting a side burner on instead of a table on the right hand side, then the four and five thousand exact details I don't know but I think were covered above. I love that grill, that's what I have and when I got mine it looked worse than yours, but now it's the ultimate grill. I can't imagine a better solution for my situation and natural gas to boot!

Here it is I hope you enjoy yours!

Nice find. Very similar to the 1000-LX redhead I'm reworking. I have no side table on the right. Plus your wood slats are in way better shape. I'm missing one frame for the slats and the two from the bottom are badly rusted. You're setting out from a way better start point. Good luck. Can't wait to see the result.
You can buy stainless steel replacements for those from Dave Santana. View attachment 44124View attachment 44124
20210825_213534.jpg

Back