A Carolina boy's first brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Never having actually been formally introduced to Texas barbecue, I didn't know what my goal was...but decided to give it a shot. There's 300 thousand Harley riders in town this weekend, so it's a good time to q.

Found a brisket at Kroger for 99 cents a pound, and it was just over ten pounds. Timmed a whole lot of fat off that thing, and rubbed it down good.

Fired up the WSM last night and put her on there. Got up and 5 am to check it before I went to work, and the fire was out!!!! No idea why.

So I foiled it and popped it in the fridge and when I got back I threw it in the oven and brought it up to temp...it came out much better than I expected.

Very juicy (my number one fear was drying it out), better texture than I had anticpated, somewhere betwee, roast beef and pot roast.

It also had good flavor....I can understand why it's so popular...it won't replace hogs in my house, but it's dang good.

Got lucky again.

Did the charcoal run out? Even in the depth of winter the fire never died.

Reading your post makes me think that it is about time for another. Lately, Sams and the other stores have not been stocking a full brisket. Usually just flat or part of the flat. Lately pork has been cheap so that is what goes on the smoker.

My own experience is that brisket tastes like pot roast when I oven bake it at the end. The brisket takes on a special distinct flavor when it is fully smoked.

I will have to agree with you about pork versus brisket. I made my first brisket a few weeks back and it was quite good. I can now understand why it's so popular. Still, there's nothing like barbecued pork, is there?

Of course, Greg, we are Carolina boys...saying otherwise about pork vs. brisket could get us kicked into Georgia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back