88 or 89 Genesis 3 clean up

JonathanC GA

I'm not going to call this a restoration, but I want to clean up this genesis 3 grill before putting it to use. I think it's from 1988 or 1989. One of the cross members of the frame fell off during transporting as it was rusted through. Any reasonable suggestions or recommendations on a fix? Can I purchase new tubing and cut to length, put some of those screw plugs things inside the tubing and re-attach? I have all the wood slats and plan to keep original for now. Sounds like I should try to replace screws with stainless steel as needed. I have ordered a new burner as the back one is shot. Otherwise it seemed pretty functional when I picked it up.

PXL_20230501_115201040.jpgPXL_20230501_115206531.jpgPXL_20230501_115227984.jpgPXL_20230501_115231657.jpgPXL_20230501_115311136.jpgPXL_20230501_115333588.jpgWeber Genesis 3.jpg

I would say looking at it you have an early 90's there. Small wood slats but no casters gives it away. Also the side burner styling. None the less an excellent grill. The square tubing can be bought, cut to length and using those tubing nuts fit back together like new. The harder thing is the cross member next to the fire box. Bad rust juju there pretty common. Once fixed you will have a nice cooking machine. You can also measure and cut the 2 legs down in length and insert casters which "modernizes" it a little

I would say looking at it you have an early 90's there. Small wood slats but no casters gives it away. Also the side burner styling. None the less an excellent grill. The square tubing can be bought, cut to length and using those tubing nuts fit back together like new. The harder thing is the cross member next to the fire box. Bad rust juju there pretty common. Once fixed you will have a nice cooking machine. You can also measure and cut the 2 legs down in length and insert casters which "modernizes" it a little
Thanks LMichaels, any recommendations of where to purchase the square tubing?

I would buy stuff like that from my local Farm & Fleet or Fleet Farm. My local Menards has some stock as well. Perhaps one of the home centers like Lowes or HD?

Perfect! I am not sure why I didn't think of looking at Home Depot. I found some in stock nearby and will probably go get it tomorrow along with other supplies. The project will be underway shortly then.

Last edited:
Really nice grill, and we look forward to seeing what you do with it. You have gotten good ideas to use already, so good luck! Keep us updated!

Jonathan, I would probably also try to at least stop the rust on this area of the frame as well if you aren't planning a full restoration.

Attachments

• PXL_20230501_115333588~2.jpg
    PXL_20230501_115333588~2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 8
Great idea Steve. I think I'm going to pick up some high heat spray paint, sand any rusted spots, scuff the current paint, disassemble this week, and possibly get the frame all painted up. I've poked around and that seems to be the most rusted spot (so far).

You don't need high heat spray unless it is on or near the cook box. The bottom parts of that frame can be sprayed with regular spray paint such as Rustoleum 2X. Black Semi-Gloss is a good color for the frame. If you repaint the frame up around the cook box, you will want to use the Rustoleum High Heat Ultra Black. It is also a semi gloss and will match the 2X perfectly on the rest of the frame....But, no problem using the High Heat Ultra over the whole frame either....just much more expensive. Once you clean up that rust, you might want to consider a good rust encapsulator as well, such as POR-15 or Eastwoods....but that is expensive too. You can use some lower level rust "reformer" such as the Rustoleum product as well....But, I think it is more of a glorified primer than anything.

I'm not going to call this a restoration, but I want to clean up this genesis 3 grill before putting it to use. I think it's from 1988 or 1989. One of the cross members of the frame fell off during transporting as it was rusted through. Any reasonable suggestions or recommendations on a fix? Can I purchase new tubing and cut to length, put some of those screw plugs things inside the tubing and re-attach? I have all the wood slats and plan to keep original for now. Sounds like I should try to replace screws with stainless steel as needed. I have ordered a new burner as the back one is shot. Otherwise it seemed pretty functional when I picked it up.

View attachment 69998View attachment 69999View attachment 70000View attachment 70001View attachment 70002View attachment 70003View attachment 70004
You got a really good one! Very nice grill. Classic gasser style with awesome redhead & wood combo topped off with side burner. Looks like solid condition requiring just easy clean up for immediate use and a little touch up paint to make it almost like new. I think that was posted on CL for a great price near Suwanee. I seriously thought about going for it myself since it so cool looking & seemed to be in really good shape.

I’ve been using charcoal Weber Kettles exclusively for decades until I got gas assist in an old Performer (SSP) I just fixed up. The SSP got me thinking sometime down the road of getting a full on gasser for quick meals to augment my several kettles. Weberitis… it is for real.

I was able to take most of it apart this afternoon. Overall, the frame seemed to be in good shape, mostly surface rust that should clean up. The burners were a little tricky to remove but I was able to spray some simple green bbq on the post to get them released. The thumb screws were rusted, and I will need to drill the remaining bits out.

The new burners arrived today, so I need to get this thing cleaned and put back together.

Questions:
  • The firebox has some bulging on the inside middle and rust on the outside. I didn't poke at it too hard, but I'm not sure how damaged it is at the moment as I ran out of daylight. Any suggestions? Should I try sanding the rust off the outside and hope it's mostly surface rust?
  • There was a metal plate on the back of the frame below the controls. Any idea what it is for?
  • The screw on the left side of the firebox through the frame has no threads remaining. Do I need to replace this with the acorn locknut or just find a bolt washer and nut to replace it with?
  • The side burner has a metal plate holding everything in the pan. If I cleaned it and squeezed the middle together, will it come out? I couldn't tell if it was somehow tacked to the bottom plate or just stuck together with grease and grime.

Sounds like the black semi-gloss rust-oleum is a good choice for the frame, firebox, and lid sides, so I might pick up some of that.
Appreciate all the help.

PXL_20230502_223944952.jpgPXL_20230502_224000891.jpgPXL_20230502_225234960.jpgPXL_20230502_225244540.jpgPXL_20230502_225249659.jpgPXL_20230502_225254480.jpgPXL_20230502_225317229.jpgPXL_20230502_225434807.jpgPXL_20230502_225445181.jpgPXL_20230502_230040946.jpgPXL_20230502_235519064.jpgPXL_20230502_235537077.jpgPXL_20230503_000252892.jpgPXL_20230503_000338279.jpgPXL_20230503_001114373.jpg

I was able to take most of it apart this afternoon. Overall, the frame seemed to be in good shape, mostly surface rust that should clean up. The burners were a little tricky to remove but I was able to spray some simple green bbq on the post to get them released. The thumb screws were rusted, and I will need to drill the remaining bits out.

The new burners arrived today, so I need to get this thing cleaned and put back together.

Questions:
  • The firebox has some bulging on the inside middle and rust on the outside. I didn't poke at it too hard, but I'm not sure how damaged it is at the moment as I ran out of daylight. Any suggestions? Should I try sanding the rust off the outside and hope it's mostly surface rust?
The rust on the cookbox is likely from the frame that touches that area. The cookbox is aluminum and will not rust like that. Where is the bulging at on the firebox? If it is along the front top edge, it could cause issues with the grates holding in place. If it is simply a spot lower down and the cook box looks otherwise solid, then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • There was a metal plate on the back of the frame below the controls. Any idea what it is for?
Not sure what that plate is or what it is for. Others might be able to help with that.
  • The screw on the left side of the firebox through the frame has no threads remaining. Do I need to replace this with the acorn locknut or just find a bolt washer and nut to replace it with?
1/4" bolt with nut and washer. I think it is 2". Make sure you use all Stainless steel parts.
  • The side burner has a metal plate holding everything in the pan. If I cleaned it and squeezed the middle together, will it come out? I couldn't tell if it was somehow tacked to the bottom plate or just stuck together with grease and grime.
Been quite a while since I messed with one of those side burners. If the metal clip/plate is not fastened to the pan in any way, they I would assume it is held in place at each end and squeezing it might release it.
Sounds like the black semi-gloss rust-oleum is a good choice for the frame, firebox, and lid sides, so I might pick up some of that.
Appreciate all the help.
I use the Rustoleum Black High heat ultra on the end caps and areas that are subject to extreme heat on the frame. I use regular Rustoleum High heat (Flat) on the cook box (outside only). I use Rustoleum 2X Semi Gloss Black on the rest of the frame and other parts. Works good for me and my rehabs and is readily available.

The rust on the cookbox is likely from the frame that touches that area. The cookbox is aluminum and will not rust like that. Where is the bulging at on the firebox? If it is along the front top edge, it could cause issues with the grates holding in place. If it is simply a spot lower down and the cook box looks otherwise solid, then it shouldn't be a problem.
The bulging is lower down. Essentially the lower center section, opposite of the rust spot on the front of the box. Hard to see in the pictures, but it probably won't be a problem. The flavorizer bars and grates fit no problem when I picked it up. Didn't take any pictures with those in it. Thanks for the replies.

Questions:

Appreciate all the help.

View attachment 70057View attachment 70058View attachment 70059View attachment 70060View attachment 70061View attachment 70062View attachment 70063View attachment 70064View attachment 70065View attachment 70066View attachment 70067View attachment 70068View attachment 70069View attachment 70070View attachment 70071
After all your hard work you may be interested in this kind of finishing touch detail which I read in a post here recently. Here's someone who makes 3D prints of the just the white wall w/logo part for the wheels. A lot cheaper than buying new wheels from Weber. Maybe there are others that make them too. https://www.etsy.com/listing/120202...allery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&edd=1

After all your hard work you may be interested in this kind of finishing touch detail which I read in a post here recently. Here's someone who makes 3D prints of the just the white wall w/logo part for the wheels. A lot cheaper than buying new wheels from Weber. Maybe there are others that make them too. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1202028178/replacement-white-walls-for-weber?click_key=067162bf1b8a343bc228063e559e3629b287c36e:1202028178&click_sum=10ecdb1e&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=weber+wheel&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&edd=1
If you go that route, just make sure you get the right inserts. The wheels on your grill are slightly different than Genesis 1000-5000 wheels. I know this guy makes the right ones for Genesis 1-5 grills as well.

View attachment 69998View attachment 69999View attachment 70000View attachment 70001View attachment 70002View attachment 70003View attachment 70004
I am excited to see how your build goes. I picked up a similar grill this weekend and plan to use it as the only gasser in my Weber line-up. If anyone knows where to find the metal framing and hardware for the left side table that flips up I'd love to know. I think I can make something work but would love the original.

Attachments

• Gen 2.jpg
    Gen 2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 11

Back