500F degree paint enough for CharQ?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I am in the process of repainting the lid of the CharQ. I have an almost full can of 500F engine paint. I wonder if the temp range is enough for the CharQ? Asking because of my disastrous experience with using that paint on the Genesis lid.

Last edited:
Yes. Too risky. I got me some 900 degree caliper paint. I hope that should do it.
Now I got my red head. If you compare the plastic parts to my 1200 you see how much they have faded. Looks like the previous owner had it sitting in the sun most of of the time.

Attachments

• 46490576-417D-4E46-9CB2-7A38A1D24DB3.jpeg
    46490576-417D-4E46-9CB2-7A38A1D24DB3.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 13
I know on my Q1200, when I preheat it to 550F for searing steaks, the lid is usually less than 300F. I use an infrared gun to measure the exterior of the lid.

Q1200 and CharQ are two different animals. They may look very similar, but use two distinctly different fuel sources. I have never fired my CharQ up with coal yet, but I am willing to bet that with good ventilation and the right amount of coal, you could get much higher than with propane which is mechanically limited on a regular Q grill.

Yes. Too risky. I got me some 900 degree caliper paint. I hope that should do it.
Now I got my red head. If you compare the plastic parts to my 1200 you see how much they have faded. Looks like the previous owner had it sitting in the sun most of of the time.
Stefan, try some of that Aerospace 303 protectant stuff on your Q grill frame. It does a great job bringing back the deep black color of vinyl and other plastics. I use it on all my rehabs. It is great on thermoset tables and Silver B frame end caps and lid handles. too.

Stefan, try some of that Aerospace 303 protectant stuff on your Q grill frame. It does a great job bringing back the deep black color of vinyl and other plastics. I use it on all my rehabs. It is great on thermoset tables and Silver B frame end caps and lid handles. too.
Thanks Bruce. I will give it a try.

Q1200 and CharQ are two different animals. They may look very similar, but use two distinctly different fuel sources. I have never fired my CharQ up with coal yet, but I am willing to bet that with good ventilation and the right amount of coal, you could get much higher than with propane which is mechanically limited on a regular Q grill.
Yes this was my concern as well. Charcoal can get a lot hotter than gas. I have seen very high temps on my kettles too.

For as much work as it is to grind off all the old paint after it fails and re-paint....go with the 1200 degree paint. 500 is not a smart idea especially with charcoal.

You can even go with the Rustoleum 2000 degree paint which comes in a lot of nice colors. The problem is that it is a matte finish, but if you throw a couple coats of the clear gloss 2000 degree paint over it, it becomes beautiful and and shiny.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

You can even go with the Rustoleum 2000 degree paint which comes in a lot of nice colors. The problem is that it is a matte finish, but if you throw a couple coats of the clear gloss 2000 degree paint over it, it becomes beautiful and and shiny.

View attachment 3742
View attachment 3743

That's a looker!
I have a Q320 that I'll be painting soon. I've already bought some VHT 1200 red paint. Hoping it comes out looking like that one!

Side question Bruce, do you only paint the lids or have you ever painted the lower (black) outside of firebox as well?

Kyle, I paint the lower halfs with Rustoleum Ultra High Heat Black (The semi gloss stuff)

t0sG1c6.jpg

On Q grills, I try hard not to have to paint them since they are mostly hidden. On Genesis grills, It is almost a given that it will need repainting due to crud, corrosion and what not. I use the flat High heat on the bottom of the Genesis grills though.

Back