4 pound brisket

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
I m doing a “mom on trip” dinner with my kids. Have a 4 pound brisket to smoke. We are having BBQ beans (in smoker), cole slaw, and apple pie.
Here is my question….. the brisket came from a local CSA, is the flat - do you think I should inject it. Was thinking bone broth and butter.

I m doing a “mom on trip” dinner with my kids. Have a 4 pound brisket to smoke. We are having BBQ beans (in smoker), cole slaw, and apple pie.
Here is my question….. the brisket came from a local CSA, is the flat - do you think I should inject it. Was thinking bone broth and butter.
injecting it will make it more moist and help stop it from drying out. since it's the flat, i'd keep your session at 225-250 and wrap it at 170F and take it to 200/tender. the issue with flats is they tend to dry out if too much heat is applied too quickly. and leave the full fat cap on. it'll help retain moisture.

Last edited:
Thanks Brett. Not very much fat on the surface which is what prompted the injection question. My daughter provided some homemade bone broth. Plan is to inject with that. Rub will be SPG, butcher paper wrap at 170ish, rest 2 hours in cooler. Serving with Texas brisket sauce, baked beans (cooked in smoker) and cole slaw. Apple pie for dessert.

Thanks Brett. Not very much fat on the surface which is what prompted the injection question. My daughter provided some homemade bone broth. Plan is to inject with that. Rub will be SPG, butcher paper wrap at 170ish, rest 2 hours in cooler. Serving with Texas brisket sauce, baked beans (cooked in smoker) and cole slaw. Apple pie for dessert.
you should be fine. just keep that low temp, 225-250 and it'll work out.

if you looked at my Signals cook, the graph specifically, the flat abosrbs heat pretty quickly, even at low temps. by keeping that low temp, you'll retain as much moisture as possible which'll ket you that brisket you want. enjoy!

E6 is at 220f. Brisket was not injected due to thickness. Started a pot of barbecue beans. Put them into the E6 to get smoke and add moisture (working perfectly).

4 hours in, temp is 165. Will butcher paper wrap once bark sets (~175)…

‘’More as we go along.

E6 is at 220f. Brisket was not injected due to thickness. Started a pot of barbecue beans. Put them into the E6 to get smoke and add moisture (working perfectly).

4 hours in, temp is 165. Will butcher paper wrap once bark sets (~175)…

‘’More as we go along.
Sounds like you’re nailing it! Once you wrap, temps will rise quickly, as in much quicker from start to stall. You might be done in 5-6 hours total.

Overall, brisket was very good. Beans we’re wonderful. Served with a brisket sauce in the side. Small brisket pieces are harder to cook as they dry out easily Which is why I cooked at 220/225. I did the softness test for doneness. Temp after I pulled it from the E6 was 195.

Beans were cooked in the smoker with the brisket. Used them as moisture source.
1665344424207.jpeg

Mini Me brisket. SPG was rub.
1665344495085.jpeg

7 hours in the E6, 3 in the cooler. Smoked with a mix of Kpro and JD lump (empty 2 bags!). Smoked with Sharpe red oak chunks. Butcher paper wrapped at 175.

Remaining charcoal after cook. Gotta love it! Had zero issues getting the E6 to hold 225.
1665344701110.jpeg

Last edited:

Back