4.2 Testing help

Daniel B

I started to assemble my heatermeter 4.2 and I had a board without the smd parts already soldered on. I finished up step 1 before I realized that i had to put the thermocouple parts on and test them so I went back and did that. On my first test I accidentally swapped + and - when I attached a 9v battery. Saw a little smoke unfortunately, not sure from where though. Now when I test it is reporting around 2.5v output from a 9v input. Tested my connections and they all appear to be good. Could I have killed my thermocouple amplifier by doing what I did? It's there another likely candidate? Unfortunately the thermocouple amplifier is the only part I don't have an extra of. Pic: https://goo.gl/photos/GfD3C9YDG3hfQ8KZA

The pic you linked to looks to have quite a few cold solder joints. I would first attend to those. Add a little flux and re-heat the solder so that it forms proper. After that I would scrub down the that area with some 99% isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. There's still a chance you did fry the TC amp, but it might be ok.

Back