3rd Mini build

Doug Selman

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi guys, a few months back, I offered to our long time good friends wife to build a Mini for her husbands Bday. I used a Vasconia pot for the first 2 I've built, but of course couldn't find one this time around. I found a generic 32qt pot at a Hispanic grocery store nearby for $21 and took a chance on it. The bottom of the pot fit fine on the Smokey Joe bottom, but I had to crimp the rim of the pot for the lid to fit. I cut the bottom of the pot out leaving four tabs 1 1/2" x 1 3/4" around the inside to bend the ends and then bend them up to support a 12" aluminum pie pan for a heat diffuser.

The pie pan rim fit perfect on the tabs just below the lower cooking grate on the steamer plate lip. I used 1/4"x 1/2" ss bolts for the top grate about 4 1/2" down
from the top rim of the pot, which gave about 6" of clearance between the 2 cooking grates, and the lid.

I used vinyl decals as reverse stencils for the designs for painting.

After the paint dried 24hrs I carefully peeled the decals off, leaving the original aluminum as the design. After the 7 day dry period, put it all back together
with the thermometer just under the top cook grate. I like to personalize these and used his intitials, DB, which gave me the idea for the front decal that I ordered from here. The back Eagle I got from a desktop wallpaper I downloaded as a jpeg and cut on our neighbors Silhouette machine.

The finished Mini

Dan was pretty surprised and happy when we gave it to him!
Thanks for lookin

Last edited:
Wow! Very nice indeed.

So now that you've built three, what is the most valuable thing you've learned about building a good mini?

Is that thermometer an RC-T2? If it is, that's what I use with my mini and in the same spot. Works very, very well.

Hi Stan
what is the most valuable thing you've learned about building a good mini?

Assembling and "borrowing" from all the great ideas on this forum, and patience when it comes to the painting.

Is that thermometer an RC-T2? If it is, that's what I use with my mini and in the same spot. Works very, very well.

Yes it is the River Country from Amazon. I like that location right under the grate, it doesn't get in the way of the food.

Doug, you sound like a really good friend. Let us know how well it cooks. What did it cost to build? Just curious.

Back